Massive Sierra spearpoint

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy molé!! Found this yesterday bushwacking down to the American River from F.H. Divide. I don't know if it's a knife or spearpoint but it's almost as big as my hand. image.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say Cobbs Knife to and it has a lot of eye appeal.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If found in California it wouldn't be a Cobbs. Way to far out of the distribution range.

Beautiful piece whatever type it is.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a tomahawk head? WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MIND BLOWING FIND.

95c6d2e44bc716d5f5aa106de2574371d5b349842efdb2468a1d2eb9d4ab9a67.jpg

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy molé!! Found this yesterday bushwacking down to the American River from F.H. Divide. I don't know if it's a knife or spearpoint but it's almost as big as my hand. View attachment 1458395

For those not from California, the FH Divide is the Forest Hill Divide, in Placer County, mother lode country, near Auburn. Native tribes here were Maidu and Nisenan, which were hunter/gatherers. Terrain contains much granite, quartz, and slate. Sub 8-) (former resident of the area!)

OP
OP
Knut dirtfisk

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the untimely response. I found this. Approximately a quarter mile uphill on the north side of the river. I was metal detecting at the time and it was poking around some boulders and I saw the edge of this in the dirt in a crevice between two large granite boulders and thought it looked out of place. It was somewhat of a plateau but more like a step and you could look down at the river. I know with some grinding stones not too far from here but the country is so rugged and steep I would venture to guess that the natives wouldn't choose the spot to camp, at least not for too long. I'm not to versed in the scientific jargon of Lithics so I took a bunch of pictures and hopefully they can answer a lot of those questions. Thanks View attachment 1459752 for the interest and for the congrats. I guess it is possible that this could have been lost or buried in modern times but the country so rugged IMG_1617.JPG IMG_1617.JPG it's highly unlikely.

OP
OP
Knut dirtfisk

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes, ''twas found on privately owned land to be sure.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool relic. The material does look identical to some of the Hornstone varieties from the Midwest. I don't think you all have the limestone deposits necessary to form this kind of flint but there might be some other type of cobble chert that looks similar.

Just for comparison, here is a cobble of the Wyandotte Hornstone from Harrison County Indiana.

edit- When freshly broken the material is a bit darker, it gets lighter colored over hundreds of years.

Wyandotte_chert_nodule.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread