Mding sled??

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was watching a show on hunting meteorites and the people where pulling a "sled" metal detector behind a truck over the desert sand. Was wondering if the same could be pulled by a person over the wet/dry sand at the ocean to find jewelry/coins also over cut/plowed fields. Seems like a way to cover a lot of ground and hit deep targets? Would this work? Is anyone doing this or has seen/heard of someone doing this? Is this just a dumb idea? Any thoughts or experiences welcomed.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well Stockpicker, it can be done, there is a hand pulled version, Your big problem would be pinpointing the target. The equipment is a PI unit that cost over $3K. check http:accuratelocators.com for info. Frank

PS, I had trouble with that address, don,t know if it is temporary, so here's what I have.
Hand pulled blankets are 18" & 36" wide. Blanket prices are $675 & $1525 respectively, and the detector with an 18" blanket is $2620, but they also through in a 40" coil & a 11" coil.

Now you see why you don't see them on the beach.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These sleds are good for finding larger pieces of metal and not coins and jewelry. Your better off with a Tesoro and a Clean Sweep coil (3"X18") and it pinpoints off the tip. Lots cheaper than a sled and not prohibited from beaches.
http://www.tesoro.com/product/coils/

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sandman, There video shows them using it to pick up small gold nuggets, BUT, they use a regular detector to pinpoint the target. Sounds like a lot of extra work for beach detecting plus it goes down deeper than you want to dig in a beach. Frank

Attachments

30.3 KB · Views: 270

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer plastic lawnmower wheels. I actually tried a sled using 2 water skis There was too much friction. I was using it on rough plowed ground, it might work better on the smooth sand. I saw those blanket coils ... then I saw the price !!! So I made one for my PI. It works well but I'm afraid of the wires in the coil flexing too much and breaking so I haven't used it much. Here's my setup. 3 foot coil on wheels, floor mat coil, and in the background is a Garrett stalk with a 10" coil for a pinpointer

Attachments

• 100_3520.JPG
    100_3520.JPG
    422 KB · Views: 320

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Rob in KA, Did you ever try to break a copper wire by bending it back and forth? Don't worry about the flex. Frank

Attachments

30.3 KB · Views: 267

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob in KA, Did you ever try to break a copper wire by bending it back and forth? Don't worry about the flex. Frank

I've seen lots of copper wire break from flexing. Solder joints are another failure point.
I'm saving the mat coil for the time when I have something good to hunt, not just Kansas farm junk.
I just hate having equipment failures in the field.

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My thought was to detect deep through the sand and get down to the hard stuff where everything sinks too. Normally you have to wait for a huge storm and massive erosion to get down this deep. Obviously you wouldnt want to dig for junk or modern coins, etc. so if possible id love something that would just pick up gold and maybe silver if that exists? Is this possible and or practical? I'd use off season so don't see any issues of using it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
What you are looking for is a detectorist dream, and it doesn't exist. Frank

Attachments

30.3 KB · Views: 234

Connecticut Sam