Medieval Horse Harness Pendant - St James...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today Land-Mag & I spent 2 hrs on what I thought was they only available land (Where I had the 2 Hammered coins last outing). However, whilst diverting to get some petrol we noticed one of our land-owners taking in the Winter Barley! HARVEST is here already!:headbang: It must be the earliest in the area!
Anyways as we had a short window, gridding was off the table, so we wandered in the un-searched area.
As luck would have it, I got a great find;

Circa 14th C Horse Harness Pendant - as it is a Scallop Shell design it probably represents the 'Way of St James', a Pilgrimage to Northern Spain (Santiago de Compostela). It was generally only Wealthy families that could do such a long trip, & this pendant (Which only Wealthy families owned) suggests that this family either did the journey or had a strong connection to St James. Lots of Gold Gilt left on this one! (Got me going for a sec, as I saw it before bending over...)

Bits & bobs, & a Tudor Button.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 24

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find my friend, know that feeling when you see the golden glint :) . Where was the dig? Roughly obviously ;)

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stupid question but if you don't ask you don't learn, which is the Tudor button?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can see where it would get you excited for a moment, what it is, is very cool in itself. man you have to really know your history and what's what.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find my friend, know that feeling when you see the golden glint :) . Where was the dig? Roughly obviously ;)
In the middle of a stubble field that has been set-a-side.:thumbsup: Thats all I'm sharing on that one.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see where it would get you excited for a moment, what it is, is very cool in itself. man you have to really know your history and what's what.
Yeap, you have to live & breath it.:thumbsup: I'll never stop learning & researching.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a shell shaped horse pendant before. But what did i know with the few we get here. :laughing9:

Congrats on a great find in the middle of a stubble field! :occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a shell shaped horse pendant before. But what did i know with the few we get here. :laughing9:

Congrats on a great find in the middle of a stubble field! :occasion14:

I've had 1 or 2 half size versions, but not as nice as this one. Another good one for the collection.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in exceptionally good condition. They didn't cut corners with the base material and the gold gilt. This family really had money to spend to show off.
Forgot to say congrats on the tiny buckle. Looks like one of the smallest ever made.... :headbang:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in exceptionally good condition. They didn't cut corners with the base material and the gold gilt. This family really had money to spend to show off.
Forgot to say congrats on the tiny buckle. Looks like one of the smallest ever made.... :headbang:
yeap it's pretty tiny!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny coincident happened today on this field, I dug a 'St James' Gate Guinness Can. Funny that the day after I dig a Pendant linked to St James, the next day I dig a St Jame's related beer can. I dig thousands of can's of every type but this is my first of this type! odd...

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds as always. Congratulations again.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome hunt & pendant, looks great condition, I like the mini buckle as well, congrats on all

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny coincident happened today on this field, I dug a 'St James' Gate Guinness Can. Funny that the day after I dig a Pendant linked to St James, the next day I dig a St Jame's related beer can. I dig thousands of can's of every type but this is my first of this type! odd...

Perhaps more than a coincidence! Have you considered walking โ€œThe Wayโ€? It may be beckoning you. I have put almost a month aside this fall to walk part of it! Nice finds!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps more than a coincidence! Have you considered walking โ€œThe Wayโ€? It may be beckoning you. I have put almost a month aside this fall to walk part of it! Nice finds!
Perhaps it was a sign.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread