Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got turned down at a huge, old house about three weeks ago so I went back tonight and asked at the huge, old house next door to it and got permission. The owner is an older guy who told me to "make myself at home" while him and his wife went out for shrimp night at the American Legion. Got a good history lesson too about the original owner of the house. There's some real potential there too... the first thing he said was to try up by the driveway because he had given his kids (30 years ago) a "handful of silver dollars to play with" and they lost them all near the driveway. Apparently he found one a few weeks ago but the rest are still there as far as he knows....unfortunately it's all gravel so they're beat up badly if they're there. He said he couldn't even recognize the one he found if he hadn't already known what it was. Even though the house is only 100 years old, he did tell me he dug up a half dime when he was planting flowers about 15 years ago, so there's some old soil there for sure.

Anyway, I started getting high tones right off the bat. The first one was a 5c token for Mason's Drug Store in Hancock, MD. A few minutes later I dug another. A few minutes later I dug a third on the other end of the yard. When the owner came out again I asked him if the place used to be a drug store...turns out the owner ran a drug store out of the house, but he was also a banker and a doctor. Had a lot going on apparently. He also built the two houses adjacent to this one (on the other side...not the one I had already been turned down at). All in all, I found six of the tokens and I'm going to give the owner some of them next time I'm in the area. He said I can come back anytime to keep looking around so I might head back this weekend. I dug a 1907 IHP too along with this locket piece. With this many high signals there I have a hard time believing it's been hit before, so I'm still optimistic that it might hold silver!

Attachments

• CAM00479.jpg
    CAM00479.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 19

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool digs, sounds like a promising site. I wonder if the old man actually gave the tokens to the kids that he told them were silver, and now he believes his own white lie? Any way those are 8 nice keepers.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nah, he showed me the dollar coin he found in the driveway...pretty mutilated. It wasn't silver, but it was an SBA dollar coin so I'm assuming the rest are there somewhere. Wouldn't mind finding a few of those, although I think the yard will hold more interesting stuff.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you got a nice permission. That IHC makes me think a Barber dime should be there too... you know they hang out together. Good luck and congrats!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you got a nice permission. That IHC makes me think a Barber dime should be there too... you know they hang out together. Good luck and congrats!
HA! If that's the case then the metal detecting gods have been playing a nice joke on me for a long time! I'm gunning for a V nickel or any silver out of there. They've got to be around somewhere. I'm interested in hitting the adjacent houses too from the same time period.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, congrats on your new permission, bound to be more goodies there.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tokens , they are always cool to find

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you had a fun hunt! I would definitely go back as there has to be silver! Good Luck and HH

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TOKENS DID SOMEONE SAY THE FOUND SOME TOKENS , SWEET .....

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! Please post the tokens to tokencatalog.com, or with your permission I can.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Please post the tokens to tokencatalog.com, or with your permission I can.
John in the Great 208

Go for it - I think you're the guy who posted my Lemon Tree Farm token up there earlier this year too. I can get you a clearer picture of one of the tokens after I get off work today and I'll post it here.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to love those 5c tokens. Many different establishments produced good for 5 cent tokens for many years.Those and civil war store cards are some of my favorite digs.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, Where there is Wheat, there is Silver.
But,, Where there are Indians, there are Barbers.
(Old Treasure Hunter's Saying ) lol

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a mega token!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like those old "Good For" tokens. There has to be more goodies there. Keep hitting it till it dries up.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John in the Great 208

Here ya go, John. You can post it to the site if you'd like!

Attachments

• DSC05319.JPG
    DSC05319.JPG
    994.7 KB · Views: 46

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread