Metal detecting business is very competitive

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look just a question, i Ask my fellow members here because I like your opinions, why does minelab always wanting to sue xp deus and notka, yes patent enfridgment, but it’s more. Multiple frequencies doesn’t belong to them , it can get annoying even the largest metal detecting distributors in Germany drop minelab , why they insisted on dictating what they can sell. Guess what the told minelab hit the road , go read metal detecting news research yourself to facts, thankyou

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think what is hurting Minelab is the decline in their availability, service and quality control of their metal detectors.

Minelab makes very expensive metal detectors. In my opinion they make the most capable gold detectors in history. In the past Minelab also had excellent service after the sale as well as a very low defect rate. That's out the door now, their latest detectors are often unavailable for months after they are put on the market, have a historically high failure rate when new and repair service has gone from excellent in the past to struggling at best now.

Minelab has never had a big market in Europe. If I were a dealer and I had to deal with no available stock, failed new detectors and a crappy service record for a low volume product I'd probably dump them too.

Many companies are struggling to get good workers. I see it every day in the industries I work with. Tech workers are no longer willing to work for big companies. The qualified workers are out there but they got the bums rush during COVID and as a group they aren't going to bet their careers on monolithic companies that attempt to control their employees health choices. Stuff changed and not for the good.

Minelab is one of many companies that toed the line and are now paying the price. Minelab was a good company for many years, I wouldn't work for them now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread