perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Well, I'm on the move again and recently accepted a job in Shanghai, China. As always, I'd love to continue practicing the hobby in some way but I haven't found anything in my internet searches so far. I figure it's not allowed, but if anyone has any information on metal detecting in China, I'd appreciate the feedback. I believe they produce knock-off detectors there but can't find anything about people actually practicing the hobby in the country. Thanks in advance!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
While waiting for a member(s) to pipe in - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found...

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
While waiting for a member(s) to pipe in - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found...

Thanks for the links- yes, I read both those threads but neither were quite informative, unfortunately. The first in 2008 devolved into another Tom in Ca debate about essentially assuming you can metal detect anywhere (which I wouldn't do) and the second didn't receive a response.

It might be one of those situations where I'll try to connect with some detectorists when I get there. I did that in Russia with some success.

petejc

Jun 30, 2021
Harrisburg, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Eqinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey they got the female basketball player from Russia so go for it.....See you behind bars as they will read as iron on your detector.....LOL

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey they got the female basketball player from Russia so go for it.....See you behind bars as they will read as iron on your detector.....LOL
There's always one clown. (sigh) I can see you are cracking yourself up here but perhaps you should keep your inane comments to yourself unless you have something of value to add to this thread?

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Well, I'm on the move again and recently accepted a job in Shanghai, China. As always, I'd love to continue practicing the hobby in some way but I haven't found anything in my internet searches so far. I figure it's not allowed, but if anyone has any information on metal detecting in China, I'd appreciate the feedback. I believe they produce knock-off detectors there but can't find anything about people actually practicing the hobby in the country. Thanks in advance!

Two sources saying metal detecting in China is illegal:

I don't think I'd risk it.

smdog66

Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's always one clown. (sigh) I can see you are cracking yourself up here but perhaps you should keep your inane comments to yourself unless you have something of value to add to this thread?
That clown was being helpful and Blunt. So it is of value. Hopefully what happened to the basketball player does not happen to you

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That clown was being helpful and Blunt. So it is of value. Hopefully what happened to the basketball player does not happen to you
No, he wasn't being helpful and neither are you. Neither of you have offered any actionable information (or know jack squat apparently) about metal detecting in China, so why are you or him even commenting? He was trying to be "funny" and you are just being a busy body. So please stop hijacking this thread and go about your day. Is that clear enough for you, "SMDog"?

lenin

Nov 7, 2018
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 66, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, he wasn't being helpful and neither are you. Neither of you have offered any actionable information (or know jack squat apparently) about metal detecting in China, so why are you or him even commenting? He was trying to be "funny" and you are just being a busy body. So please stop hijacking this thread and go about your day. Is that clear enough for you, "SMDog"?
Woooaaaa! Easy boys! Metal detecting is Forbiden in China. My family is half chinese I called my cousin and it is in fact a very illegal activity.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I can only imagine the ancient items lying there lost. You talk about history. I wonder if it could be done as an archeological attempt? With govt permissions. Egypt allows certain expeditions and they monitor them closely.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is illegal, Chinese jail is not where you want to go...

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooaaaa! Easy boys! Metal detecting is Forbiden in China. My family is half chinese I called my cousin and it is in fact a very illegal activity.
Hey, I'm cool as a cucumber. 8-) Just no tolerance for nonsense.

Thank you for your reply based on your experiences researching the legality of detecting in China. Really difficult to get actual facts from people in the know rather than from people who probably couldn't locate China on a map if it was highlighted in red. :laughing7:

Since I originally asked the question, I've reached out to the (Chinese) guys who will be handling my shipment of personal items into the country. They dug around and essentially stated it's not allowed so unfortunately, I won't be bringing my gear on this latest adventure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread