Metal Detecting Seniors with mobility problems

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have developed some ageing issues that prevent me from long continuous hunts. I am good for 15 to 20 minutes then I am looking for a spot to set down for a short rest. I recently purchased a product called a "rollator" which is like a walker with a seat with back and has large wheels. Mine is from Home page | Drive Medical but there are many other companies that also sell this type of mobile seat. It has a compartment for all my tools plus my liquid refreshment. It folds up and weighs about 20 lbs and will easily fit behind the front seat or in the trunk. I arrive at the detecting site (probably not good for rough country relic hunting) and pull it out and load it up. My detector gets carried across the handle bars and I proceed to my dig site. I locate my portable seat so that I can go out in a pattern and return and take a small rest and then I move to the next leg of the pattern. I spent a very enjoyable morning today (found some gold) and came home rested. I hope this gets a few of you off the couch and back out digging a whole lot more of that buried treasure.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those Rollator type seats and used it to learn to walk again after double knee replacements. I don't use it anymore as I can walk OK now. I haven't hunted much in the woods yet but will carry a seat of some sort. It's getting harder and harder for me to get up from the kneeling position. I need a stick to pull up on. :BangHead:
I'm working on an idea of putting a longer PVC handle on my Gator digger. Also add half cups to my picker upper.
31tj6ClHwEL.jpg

Remember that Engineering and Cunningness will keep us old folks going.:laughing7:
Marvin

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those Rollator type seats and used it to learn to walk again after double knee replacements. I don't use it anymore as I can walk OK now. I haven't hunted much in the woods yet but will carry a seat of some sort. It's getting harder and harder for me to get up from the kneeling position. I need a stick to pull up on. :BangHead:
I'm working on an idea of putting a longer PVC handle on my Gator digger. Also add half cups to my picker upper.
31tj6ClHwEL.jpg

Remember that Engineering and Cunningness will keep us old folks going.:laughing7:
Marvin

Marvin, How is this for a plan? Get yourself a stack of poker chips and go ahead and detect your chosen area. Drop a chip on every spot where you find a target. Then go back and pick up your rollator and go to each spot where there is a chip and set down and recover your find and clean up your dig, then proceed to the next chip. With the design of the rollator, standing up with the aid of the handles is easy. I do not kneel when I dig I just bend over and do my recovery. When all of the recovery is completed you can reach back into the compartment and pull out the beverage of your choice and relax while you look over those sparkling treasures you just recovered:headbang:

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll keep detecting even if it means only a few recoveries a day.

I got the idea of the rollator when I watched an old fellow carry a 5 gal bucket out with him while detecting and he used it as a seat. He had his digger and pinpointer items inside the bucket. I investigated that but it became a bit heavy so my next trip to the grocery store a lady had a sharp looking rollator with a soft cushion and it had a large compartment for take along items. I have been using that idea for some time now and it keeps me out and going (exercise), which keeps me happy. no having to carry a load on that long trip back to the car. It is very easy to push. Large wheels are a must for grass areas and open terrain.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who have the means, you could always rent an attractive young assistant to aid you during your detecting outings. That is provided the boss lady/man approves:icon_thumright:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember right, my Uncle was a dairy farmer and he used to have a stool that attached to his waist. As he got to each cow, all he had to do was sit down as his stool was with him. Just a thought to play with.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember right, my Uncle was a dairy farmer and he used to have a stool that attached to his waist. As he got to each cow, all he had to do was sit down as his stool was with him. Just a thought to play with.

A tough dairy man would probably have good knees to be able to stand up off that type of stool. I also remember those from my days on the ranch as a kid. I just now returned from a 3.5 hr outing and my rollator was right there. I still think it may be one of the best answers. I know of a friend who wont use any item like that (rollator) due to what he feels is a stigma of being a gimpy old fart with a marginal disability.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread