meteorite jewelry

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites MXT,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have'nt posted in a while. Back to creating some more meteorite jewelry. My latest is a pair of earrings in 14 kt gold. I carved the donuts out of Gibeon iron and the bezel set gems are Admire pallasite peridot courtesy of Steve Arnold the man who found them.
image.jpeg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice. Is there a problem with rust? I know some slabs are treated in different ways like spray lacquer.
I also have heard of paste wax reapplied.
Arnold seems to be gifted for finding these hard to find sky rocks.

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider myself to be a man of taste, and those are really very nice!

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not really any issues with rust. I do treat the meteorite after I finish them with a good soak in methanol or denatured alcohol then a coating of oil or trans.fluid for 24hrs then wipe clean. The gibeon is fairly rust resistant anyway, but they do require a little xtra tlc for wear and care.

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Admire strewnfield is only about 90 miles from where I live in KC, but the Admire pallasite is one of only 4 or 5 pallasite world wide that they have been able to harvest gem quality (extra-terrestrial) peridot crystals from.

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd like to see some of your work. Working with meteorite has its challenges, feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Most meteorites are stainless steel with a nickel % of more than a basic man made stainless of 8%.
I remember one guy that sold slabs had rust problems so I got to wondering if he had a meteorite
or a hunk of iron. Could be that he had a lower % of nickel.
Some meteorite finds are rusty and I've heard said that there would be more found except they have
rusted away. I see by the %, chromium is fairly rare to only a trace %. A nickel chromium with a high %
of both would make an almost indestructible meteorite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread