Meteorite or just a strange rock?

farengate

May 23, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
recently I found this strange rusty stone. It looks kinda like a piece of iron one and a rock in the same time.
It's not magnetic and weight is apr. 15lbs.

I hoped you will be able to help me with the preliminary identification.

Photos are below.
https://imgur.com/a/VjJ4mte

A1SFrOT.jpg
decd6347-2ee1-49c3-bc92-7afd08060227.jpg
VPQUfoy.jpg
3RDCnrg.jpg
5KNo49j.jpg
x7JcqHg.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet, FYI, it is much better to host pictures on our website, many members will not go to outside links to see pictures due to virus potential.

inhochsignovinces

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a stony iron meteorite. Earth rocks do not have that metal content . Polish it to a mirror and etch it with acid to se if there are any widmanstatten patterns

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a stony iron meteorite. Earth rocks do not have that metal content . Polish it to a mirror and etch it with acid to se if there are any widmanstatten patterns

Not a meteorite. Anything which has visible metal content but which is not attracted to a magnet will not be meteoritic. There are no exceptions to that rule since visible metal in meteorites always has native iron as the predominant metal.

It's also not correct to say that Earth rocks do not have that metal content. That would be true (with rare exceptions) if the metal was principally native iron, but not if the metal was something else... which must be the case if it's not magnetic.

Difficult to say what it is from pictures alone, but it could of course also be man-made rather than natural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread