Mid Century Modern Tulip table and chairs!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been training a new employee at the company that I work for, for the past week. Thursday, we were talking about plans for the weekend! He asked me what I was doing, and I told him what I tell everyone, my usual that I'm going to get high on garage sales, thrift stores, and swap meets. He smiles and he proceeds to tell me (in frustration) that he had called a local thrift store to come and pick up some furniture, but they never make it to his house and continue to cancel. He said that he finally was able to speak with someone in authority, and they had agreed to go to his house on Saturday (today) and pick up a dining room table and chairs, and some end tables!

I was curious what they were, and I asked him about them. He is in his 50's and told me that the dining room table was bought by his mother when he was in HS. This really piqued my interest, and so I probed some more. I quickly pulled up a Google page and started entering phrases. One of those phrases was Mid Cent Modern Table. I proceeded to show him some pictures, and he pointed one out that really cried out Mid Century Modern. I began to research further, and found out that the table and chairs could possible be a "Knoll Eero Saarinen". I asked him if I could have them, but he said that he had promised them to the thrift store. He said that I could have them if they didn't show up! I did my researched that night, and determined that they could be collectable and valuable. Friday morning I spoke with him again, and pointed out the collectability of them, even showing the potential sale prices. He said that he did not want to deal with that, and that if I wanted them that they were mine.

I had already formulated a plan that I was going to approach him with, so I told him that I would give the thrift store my dining room table and chairs, and that I would take his. Like that, the thrift store got their furniture, my friend got rid of the furniture that was causing him a headache, and I got this lovely piece. :-)

P.S. Scores can come up in so many ways, we just have to be ready for the opportunity when it knocks on our door, window, calls, te Tulip1.jpg Tulip2.jpg xt, or emails! :-)

RJA

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
For those who may not be aware, Saarinen was a very famous architect and designer. The Gateway Arch in St. Louis and the TWA terminal at JFK airport in New York are among his most widely recognized works. As you discovered, if your table and chairs were actually produced by Saarinen, they could be very valuable. Even if they were produced by somebody else, they are still cool.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a set like that at a Garage Sale for $100. Mine was yellow vinyl and white Formica table top. Imported from Denmark. I think I posted it on here, I love the chairs, the Table is in the Garage Waiting for the time to sell. I have a Teak Danish Modern table and Chairs my parents bought when I was about 3... close to 50 years ago.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are made by Burke. You can tell because of the propeller base. They are period knockoffs of the Knoll set.

Usually retail in a shop is $100 per chair, and the table is $200 in a good market.

I have a set I use in the basement.

Of course, an original Saarinen would be much more, but not bad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions