Milling Pecan Log

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cut a good sized pecan last spring. I put the top half of the log in my woods all summer in an effort to get it to spalt. Spalting occurs when bacteria attacks the wood. It can change the wood from plain to strikingly beautiful. Or, if left too long, it can go too far and the wood ends up too soft to use. It’s half timing and half luck. I opened up this log yesterday and the spalting is just getting started at the base. I think it was way too dry this summer to get good spalt. You need heat and moisture for it to work. I hauled it back to the woods and will try it again next summer.
IMG_2367.jpeg
IMG_2369.jpeg
IMG_2370.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cut a good sized pecan last spring. I put the top half of the log in my woods all summer in an effort to get it to spalt. Spalting occurs when bacteria attacks the wood. It can change the wood from plain to strikingly beautiful. Or, if left too long, it can go too far and the wood ends up too soft to use. It’s half timing and half luck. I opened up this log yesterday and the spalting is just getting started at the base. I think it was way too dry this summer to get good spalt. You need heat and moisture for it to work. I hauled it back to the woods and will try it again next summer. View attachment 2108692 View attachment 2108694 View attachment 2108695
Now when you put it back out which way will you lay the log now?
How many inch is the bar on the STIHL?

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I layed the log down with the fresh cut up. It’s near my picnic table out in the woods so I’ll use it for a bench. No idea which way would be better. I’m just learning about spalting and haven’t done much. I put some sycamore in the woods the spring before last and milled it in the fall. It had good spalt. The mill is a Logosol M7, the saw is 660 with 28” bar. I also have a 36” bar which I will need on the butt log.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like it would make a great coffee table if you have a plane ?

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this pic of a table with spalted pecan. This is what I’m hoping for but still have a long way to go. I think this table has exceptional spalting. I read where some guys pour a bottle of malt liquor beer on the log to get the spalting started. I don’t hold much faith in that but I guess it would be cheap enough to try.
IMG_2381.jpeg

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been running the chainsaw mill for about 7 years now. It's a great way to process the saw logs. Most of the trees here in south Florida are tropical hardwoods. We've built some great furniture over the years, and we're starting into a 10 person setting dining table commission. Good luck with your pecan log....can't wait to see the slabs out of it !!heres the latest cuban mahogany slab for a customer.
20230808_082027.jpg

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been running the chainsaw mill for about 7 years now. It's a great way to process the saw logs. Most of the trees here in south Florida are tropical hardwoods. We've built some great furniture over the years, and we're starting into a 10 person setting dining table commission. Good luck with your pecan log....can't wait to see the slabs out of it !!heres the latest cuban mahogany slab for a customer.
Wow! That is some nice wood for sure. Does it have a lot of oil in it? I’ve had bad luck with tropical woods rejecting finish because of the oil.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is some nice wood for sure. Does it have a lot of oil in it? I’ve had bad luck with tropical woods rejecting finish because of the oil.
Ya some can be tricky, but for the main part no problems with finish if everything is properly cured and dry. We also use the router sled for getting the slabs perfectly level and flat.
20231012_164535.jpg
my partner is fattening a slab now !!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure are some gorgeous boards BB :)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice and simple made from some white oak scrap. And some simple 2×4 rails. Everything nice and leveled up. That pecan table top is a beautiful piece !!

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is yesterday’s milling. My two dead black ash trees. Killed by emerald ash borers. There were live larvae in the smaller one. Good reason to take sick ashes down immediately. I had to pay to take them down but at least I have the wood to use. Four nice slabs from the bigger one and four 4X4s 8’ from the smaller one. I see four real nice benches there.
IMG_2382.jpeg

Nice and simple made from some white oak scrap. And some simple 2×4 rails. Everything nice and leveled up. That pecan table top is a beautiful piece !!

Hey Blak Bart, did you get that Cuban mahogany from a refugees raft?😜

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is yesterday’s milling. My two dead black ash trees. Killed by emerald ash borers. There were live larvae in the smaller one. Good reason to take sick ashes down immediately. I had to pay to take them down but at least I have the wood to use. Four nice slabs from the bigger one and four 4X4s 8’ from the smaller one. I see four real nice benches there. View attachment 2109614

Hey Blak Bart, did you get that Cuban mahogany from a refugees raft?😜
Beautiful material you have there !! So nice to make cool stuff from trees 🌳 I've learned so much from this journey into milling lumber, and playing sawyer !!
We're blessed with the only location in the United States that these endangered, and protected west indies mahogany grow. Since its protected, and importation is banned we are in a unique niche position to be able to urban log this material !! If a permit is issued to cut a west indies mahogany, 3 saplings must be planted in its place. All permits are dependent on an arborist/biologist approval. There are no rules that restrict us from storm fall harvesting, and hurricanes can be a littoral windfall of cash for us !! Its the biggest most lucrative treasure I've ever been involved in, and the prices for slabs from this species are are quite high. The wood is very sought after by guitar builders, and furniture makers alike !!

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today’s milling. I did the butt log of my pecan. It was 18”@4’. I cut a 6” slab for a mantle, a 3” and 2.5” slabs. I’m guessing the 6” X 8’ slab weighs 3-400 lbs. it will lose some weight in the next couple of yrs but will always be a heavyweight.
IMG_2429.jpeg

These are pics of our local log dump. Tree services pay $300/yr to dump all their logs. County residents can drop stuff for free. Anyone can come in and take what they want for free. Guys looking for firewood will be around soon. They have firewood cutting parties. Four or five guys will show up with saws, splitters, and trailers. There is so much bug killed ash there that they have premium firewood. So many logs, so little time! I watch for walnut mainly, and have scored a bunch. Today, no walnut. I have the “Picture This” app on my phone and scanned several logs. I found white oak, black oak, ash, silver and sugar maple, cedar, elm, and Bradford pear. Once or twice a yr they pile logs up and light them up. The fire burns for weeks.
IMG_2421.jpeg
IMG_2425.jpeg
IMG_2424.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions