Minelab Equinox waterproof cover

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We need Minelab to come up with a control box cover that will improve the water proof capability of the Knox. So far mine works great but a lot of others have complained their units have flooded. I want mine to be waterproof now and past the warranty. MINELAB WHAT DO YOU THINK.

MackDog

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the control pod can't be reliably sealed watertight in a factory setting, how in the world will they make a 100% waterproof one that the end user could clamp over the whole thing? :dontknow: Hopefully they'll just make a redesigned Equinox 1000 that will cause targets to just jump out of the ground and into my pouch!

Last edited:

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the control pod can't be reliably sealed watertight in a factory setting, how in the world will they make a 100% waterproof one that the end user could clamp over the whole thing? :dontknow: Hopefully they'll just make a redesigned Equinox 1000 that will cause targets to just out of the ground and into my pouch!

Or maybe release a new redesigned Equinox that really is waterproof..along with a sturdier arm cup and a collapsible carbon shaft that doesn't wobble.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be happy if a third party company would make something to handle this

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the control pod can't be reliably sealed watertight in a factory setting, how in the world will they make a 100% waterproof one that the end user could clamp over the whole thing? :dontknow: Hopefully they'll just make a redesigned Equinox 1000 that will cause targets to just jump out of the ground and into my pouch!

Update 4.0 🤣

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be happy if a third party company would make something to handle this

Like someone would like to take on that liability should their product fail and your Nox still floods......

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really think the company is going to admit to a problem, let alone get some sort of fix? Really?

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other

Put my name on the wait list for that one!
dts

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Make the next Equinox model a wireless control box like the XP’s and offer a water proof case, problem solved. Or you could try shrink wrap on your 800 [emoji23]

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make the next Equinox model a wireless control box like the XP’s and offer a water proof case, problem solved. Or you could try shrink wrap on your 800 [emoji23]

As soon as you submerged the wireless coil or wireless control box you would lose your wireless connection.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
waterproof

Not if it had an antenna wire from the coil like the Xp, you could submerge it.

That's just a mess really. Not too many people with a Deus hunt the water with it for this very reason. Plus........you could just have control box leaks again or broken antennas. It's just moving the problem to another location.

Honestly, they just need a quick redesign to fix the issue. A simple screw in cap with orings would solve the issue. Like every pinpointer has on the stem.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
More and more people are using the XP’s for water hunting. I’ve hunted with my Xp all summer in the water. The water case/kit, in my opinion is more reliable keeping things high and dry than any water proof machine. I’ve put my cell phone in a water proof case for yrs and never once had a leak. I don’t see how this is a mess. It’s a great set up Xp has made. How would you have control box leaks in a water tight case?? and how would the antenna break? It’s just a wire like every detector has that goes around the shaft?? I would rather have a compact control that fits in a water tight case that is designed to be water proof and keep things dry than wonder every time I went out if today is the day my detector drowns. The case is also rated to 5m, deeper than the Equinox can handle. If the water proof case should fail, XP still honours the warranty. If Minelab hasn’t fixed their flaws or weakness yet with the Equinox then they need to re-design a better machine. Too many flaws with it in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread