Miners moss

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to dredging/highbanking. I added a highbanker/dredge combo (2" nozzle/hose) and dredge riffles to my Keene A52 as well as a 4HP Honda pump.

I have what came with my (old) Keene A52 which was expanded metal and blue ribbed carpeting. I'm trying to decide whether I should add miners moss. If yes, what would be the ideal configuration?

Thanks

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I converted my stream sluice once upon at time, the idea is to have different zones what doesn't catch in some places in the box might catch better in another.
I like the soft 3M brand miners moss, I had problems with the course stiff kind loading up, I now stick with the blue 3M brand, I used it on this box under 2 riffles
on the first riffle I put a piece of the expanded over the moss then nothing over the next one to give the gold different spots to catch in.
my old stream sluice conversion.
newDSC01178.JPG
this is the new 12" Keene box straight from the factory.
newDSC01201.JPG

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carpet on bottom unless the moss has a solid backing.
If the moss is not backed then carpet on the bottom, moss over it and then the expanded.

Up to you whether to have moss go the entire length or not.
If dredging I like moss the entire length. When highbanking I don't use moss at all, just carpet..

See how winners58 used punch plate over the top of his first few riffles, great idea:icon_thumleft:
Just what you want when dredging (keeps the fines from blowing out)

Also when dredging the best setup is a flair with a damper flap as shown on winners58's photo.
If not doable for you then at least add the flap.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread