Modified tone on the Vaquero?

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Black ones aren't high-tone, unless ordered that way. You can have high-tone on either black or gray, on Cibola and Vaquero.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several years ago I had my Vaq changed to the high tone. Cost $15 at the time, don't know if that's changed or not.
luvdux

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...still $15.

Several years ago I had my Vaq changed to the high tone. Cost $15 at the time, don't know if that's changed or not.
luvdux

Still $15 for the registered owner, otherwise $50, which also includes the checkup/adjustment (if needed) and return shipping. I recently had the high-tone conversion done on a Vaquero.

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't quite get why people don't like it, I think it sounds fine. The tone is right to carry the information well IMO. To each his own of course.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
got young ears..?

I don't quite get why people don't like it, I think it sounds fine. The tone is right to carry the information well IMO. To each his own of course.

I think it has something to do with older ears. Mine like the higher tone better. :sunny:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

I think it has something to do with older ears. Mine like the higher tone better. :sunny:

This is exactly why this option is available, according to Tesoro, and why I ordered my new Vaq with a high tone at the time even though my hearing is still pretty good.
Just thought it would be a good idea at a time.
I enjoyed using that high tone but it wasn't long after I got my Compadre with a lower tone that I realized I preferred a lower tone better as a matter of fact that high tone now to me became very annoying.
I considered sending my Vaq in for a free tune up and paying the $15 to get the lower tone but then I changed my mind for one reason.
I don't know if it's just me and my hearing or what but I realized using both the Vaq and the Compadre there was a difference in what I was hearing when swinging over most aluminum, especially the little bit bigger can slaw stuff at nickel all the way up.
A superpower that I decided I just don't want to live without.

When swinging over aluminum with that high tone I instantly react with my back teeth gnashing...that sound is extra annoying to me and triggers that reaction every time.
Like a scratching nails on a chalkboard sort of thing.
It is extremely accurate and instantaneous....if I grit my teeth it's aluminum and has been every time I dug it.
I can tell that same problem junk using my Compadre most of the time too, not as instantaneous but there are good and accurate indicators but not like when I am using the Vaq.
Since I hunt such trashy sites most of the time and I like the speed and accuracy this effect gives me I put up with that annoying sound I hear now on aluminum and all the other targets I swing over...worth it to me.
I always have the Compadre to pick up and use when I need a break, anyway.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mentioned headphones on another post Digger, but this thread might be a better place to share for what you use on both your detectors along with the high tone modification?

Thanks.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Killer B's which I bought with my Vaq in 2010 and it worked well on that and the Compadre...also the F2.
I caught and stretched the cord too much once and ripped the wires at the plug and they went bad and I was just too lazy to send them in for repair so for a couple of years I used several others from ear buds to a few different kinds from cheap to better, all seemed to work pretty good, the decent quality ones good enough anyway, that annoying, teeth gnashing over aluminum signal using my high tone Vaq happened with all of them...thankfully.

The B's are by far the best I have ever used and one day I got off my lazy butt and just repaired them myself and have used only those for awhile now.
The way I hunt now with both my Fishers and Tesoros I try to avoid digging as much trash as possible while still trying to target the good stuff and on both brands to do this successfully requires listening closely to the tones, the differences, inflections and all the other info they can give me so a good pair of phones is important to me more than ever in my process.
I won't be going back to less quality types ever again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
I like my DetectorPro Grey Ghosts, with the single volume control. Have has them for three years, absolutely no issues with them, 150 ohms, picks up faints signals very well, I think.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone confirm how close the high tone is to the older cutlass/bandido umax tone?
I love the higher tone on my bandido II micromax and cutlass. I find it easier to read.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to do the mod on mine. Not sure if I want to drop the 50 to do it though. I bought mine used

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread