More confusion. 😆

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Yesterday I mentioned finding coins in my front yard. An area that has been swept dozens of times with the same machine. Today, same area.
2 strong signals yielded the items shown: a brass plate that I’m guessing was from a music box and the brass hold down bolt. It has 3/18”-16 threads and is very heavy. The handle is crushed down. I’d guess it was more circular originally.
It’s funny I never got a good signal on them before. Could it be because the ground now has more moisture?
The “over seers” weren’t finds, just guys that hang out in my kitchen.
IMG_2071.jpeg

Upvote 13
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
The brass bolt looks to be a smashed reigns guide. Cool find.
Moisture will definitely get you more depth and maybe you have learned how to better tune the machine through use?
Keep at it!
Thanks. I’ve found a few iron ones. This is my first brass one. I appreciate the ID. 👍🏼

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first started detecting in ‘81, I hit a swing set in my neighbors yard. He was old and the swings had not been used since the 60s. I found quite a few pennies and mercs and rosies. I thought I had dug every signal. Went back days later and found more until no more signals. I did this several times and wondered if it was simply the moisture content or something else I was missing. Who knows? Magnetic fields in the earth? Atmospheric ionization? Maybe part of the reason there always seems to be something left at sites that have been pounded.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recovery on the rein turret.
As Toddspoint stated there's various reasons for this occurrence.
Then again you could have recovered some iron, and that unmasked this item.
Moisture is a great enhancement for the depth, signal strength.
The main thing it's a new keeper.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I mentioned finding coins in my front yard. An area that has been swept dozens of times with the same machine. Today, same area.
2 strong signals yielded the items shown: a brass plate that I’m guessing was from a music box and the brass hold down bolt. It has 3/18”-16 threads and is very heavy. The handle is crushed down. I’d guess it was more circular originally.
It’s funny I never got a good signal on them before. Could it be because the ground now has more moisture?
The “over seers” weren’t finds, just guys that hang out in my kitchen.
View attachment 2106993
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread