Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
**Exactly one week ago I arrived at my burned out apartment building after spending the night in the ER. The clothes on my back and a worn pair of shoes that the ER gave me were all that I owned at that moment. The building had already been boarded up. Everyone was gone. I didn't even know if I'd be able to eventually get into my apartment.

Not thinking straight, I honestly thought I'd make it into work, granted about 12 hours late. So I headed into town to get a new phone, steel toed shoes for work, baby wipes to clean up with, and one set of clothes from Goodwill. I then returned to the apartment building. At this point I was fully ready to be homeless short term and knew a few places I could sleep overnight.

The maintenance man and his crew was at the house. He lent me a flashlight and let me go up. My effeciency was mostly intact, mostly smoke and water damage. The hallway and other two apartments on the second floor looked like something out of Danate's Inferno. The one and only thing I wanted to save were my important life documents. Thanks to where I'd stored them, they survived. I left and another tenant had returned. They told me that the Red Cross had helped everyone. Two hours later the Red Cross had given me money for short term housing.

Thank you Red Cross.

That covered a week in a motel plus a third of a second week. They are on my forever charity list.

Friends and co-workers have been amazing. One friend in particular has bought me food and helped me with other resources. Anothet lady at work is getting me more clothing from her church. Another person gave me a very generous gift card, countless others have given me money and other gifts.

Truly each and everyone is a gift from heaven.

Right now my I have food, clothing, and shelter. I now have the resources to get a new effeciency apartment.

In the past I have given generously to those in need. But until I suffered this tragedy, I never understood how much such help meant.

To pay it forward the first thing I will do is donate all my clad and eye finds to charity.

Second when I get shoes BOGO, the free pair goes to my local ER. My used shoes also go to thw ER as they will only be needed short term.

Third never again be resentful when someone asks for a loan I know they will never repay. I'll give them the money and consider it a gift.

Everytime I am downtown and see a donation box to support the shelters, whatever is in my pockets goes in the box.

One final way I will pay it forward is by donating books and picture puzzles to the behavior health center of the local hospital.

Right now my biggest priority is finding an effeciency. But today I need to do about a half of dozen minor errands, half related to the fire. Lol it took me days to think about getting my mail stopped.

I have been writing this mostly on the bus as I have been heading out to my errands. I just made my first pay it forward donation to someone in a tougher situation than I am in. She's been living in the park next to the bus station for a couple of weeks.

Another thing I want to do is write two brochures. One for what to do before a tragedy strikes. The second is dealing with a tragedy after it strikes.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit. I really just wanted to share that greatest treasures are ones you don't know that you have. Treasure those in your life. And when needed, take a mental health break with swing therapy.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really do have an incredible attitude ,remember in that brochure to remind people how the never give up attitude is so important !! Glad things are getting better sooner than later for you. It is noble to pay it foward like that. Good job keeping your sipirt high. Having survived hurricane andrew I know what it takes.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Starting over.
An odd part of life.

The difference between a hand up and a hand out are real. Based on what the receiver does with them.
You're already extending a hand to others. While not quite back on your own feet.
Not hard to guess where your heart is.

Don't get too soft in the heart.:laughing7:
Hang in there going forward.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paying it forward is a great thing to do. I hope you get settled soon.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well worded with sincerity born out of tragedy. Having been through a fire myself although not being displaced I know some of the hardships you are dealing with. Maintaining your positive attitude is a primary responsibility and one not so easily attained. I am grateful to those friends who have stepped up to fill the breach on your behalf. Also glad to know that you are practicing a valuable life principal of giving to those in need even during your own crisis. It will continue to bring you blessings. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how things are coming along. You will get through this and become a stronger and better person for it. Peace.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there. Stuff can also be replaced, you can't. Don't over stress. You are very fortunate to have people there to help you. Immediately after hurricane Sandy, my daughter's co worker lost everything. The house she was renting simply did not exist anymore. True story: her coworkers took up a collection a few days later for her. I had sent my daughter a decent amount of money to give to her. Oddly, no one else pitched in a dime. You are very fortunate.

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me just say two things. I have some new friends for life. If someone offered me a million bucks to go on tv to promote another treasure site, I'd tell them to :censored::censored::censored:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many of us here on this site know what a life changing happening is. I most certainly do.

I sincerely hope all others "play it forward" for others also. Not only for your sake but for others who can. I wish you the best sir. I have been on a mission to play it forward starting from last Christmas and going forward as long as I can... Brad

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last night after work, I took my eye finds and md clad, 95% rescued from the fire. The rest I have found since then, to the coinstar. It amounted to just under $12.40. I donated the entire amount to the American Red Cross. While I was at the store I picked up two thank you cards. One for the fire company that responded to the fire, and the other for the firefighter who saved my life.

Tonight I spent just over two hours writing personal notes to those firefighters. To the firefighter who rescued me, I gave him my three oldest Wheats, all found in the yard where I was living.

Today a co-worker gave me info on a company where he used to rent an efficiency. I like what I saw on the brochure and am hopeful I can rent an efficiency from them.

Another co-worker has offered me a couch. Heck yes I will take it.

Still a fair way to go...but I see the end of the rainbow.

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
l found an apartment today. I was shocked when I walked in and discovered it was furnished. The company also puts a fire extinguisher in every apartment.

I asked if I decided to get a cat what would be the deposit and rent for the cat. I was shocked when the Manager said that one of the staff rescued cats. If I adopted one of her cats--no depsit or rent for that cat. So I said I would love to adopt an older cat. Looks like I'll soon have a fur baby.

I'll be moving in tomorrow night and Saturday morning. I can't wait.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That is good news. And a cat in the bargain.....

Sometimes it is discombobulating trying to figure out which way is North in new/strange places. Wake up upside down or worse ,sideways on the bed trying to get orientated.:laughing7:

Hang in there!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, out of such an adverse set of circumstances your ability for such compassion shines like a beacon of hope. :angel7: I believe every day is a blessing and hope that I would do as you did during events like those. Glad things are working out.
That's good news about the fur baby. You are a beautiful soul. :notworthy:

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of my pets have been rescues. I find that they really appreciate a home. So out of all this I get to help another soul. A soul that will give me so much in return.

Their is a park nearby that I am looking forward to hunting. It's in a neighborhood where lots of people walk their dogs.

A bunch of people from work have been waiting for me to find a place before donating household stuff to me. Its really been a case where I've gotten what I need, when I need it. These treasures are truly more precious than silver or gold. But I'm looking forward to finding both in the near future.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, so glad you are getting reset w/ a little help from friends - and a kitty in the mix!

Purrs and head butts to you!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Glad that you are getting back on your feet.
This should be a wakeup call for anyone that doesn't carry renters (or homeowners) insurance. The renters insurance policy would have paid for your damaged property plus your additional living expenses. All for about $100 a year. That's 27 cents a day. Of course, the more stuff you have the higher coverage you should buy and therefore more expensive, but the base policies are so inexpensive that everyone should have. Make sure you get "replacement cost" coverage so they will replace your stuff with brand new stuff, likeable kind and quality in today's market.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto what everyone else said! I have found that what ever you pay forward, returns 10 fold. Then you get to do it again! Glad to hear that you have landed. That makes me feel great and it does you too I am sure
Cheers

Randy

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your rescues.... My wife and I have rescued so many dogs in 20+ years we can't even remember them all. The costs are enormous but those dogs give back in ways of their own.

Unless you've ever done this over and over I guess you'll never understand the personality's that dogs have as we have. They are just as us... AND DO "TALK". But maybe you'd have to be us...?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread