mount vernon,calvert (CRICKET HILL)

OP
OP
B

bigm

Jan 6, 2008
Ps
I wouldn't sit on this too long, was noticing the increased construction activity due to the steel mill coming.
Sad to say this will forever affect the environment up there

mike

tomw

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2007
Foley Alabama
Detector(s) used
White
bigm said:
Hello MDS, was talking to a coworker today up in calvert(cricket hill) he metioned there was arrowheads ,artifacts alongside the creek banks. I dont personally know the area or history just passing some info along. Good hunting

mike

Hello Bigm
Not try to hijack your thread here just hoping for some friendly conversation. I’m assuming your from Mobile county, If so hello neighbor (Foley here)... I seen where you were pretty active back a few years ago in MD. And was wondering if you ever had the chance to get up around Beaver meadows Just north of Mobile?.. The area I’m interested in not much hunting it but would like to take a peek at it.

The place is the old Civil War uniform factory later converted into a paper mill. There is not much detail offered on the internet and like you I say busy in the building trades also whats left of it anyways so I don’t have to much time to research through the libraries

Tom

OP
OP
B

bigm

Jan 6, 2008
Hello Tom it is good to meet you, I live in Grand Bay, and yes a good conversation is always welcomed. I may not be that bigm you referred to however,but heck its ok. I walked away from treasure hunting back
in the late eighties and am now just returning to it.
My experience has been mostly dowsing( the stories I could tell) :)
How about you?

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
BigM, have you lived in Grand Bay long? I lived there growing up from 1961 to 1990. I lived riight down from where 188 meets Hwy 90 (the railroad tracks).

MichaelB
Baldwin County

OP
OP
B

bigm

Jan 6, 2008
Mike I came to Grand Bay from Florida in the early seventies ,loved the friendly folks back then and put down my roots.
It is indeed a small world for I first moved in just one street away from you(pine ave) and am living now on Saeger

Mike

tomw

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2007
Foley Alabama
Detector(s) used
White
My MD hunting is limited on land if you could call it that. A few years back well more than a few really me and my brother-n-law use to try for once a week. Somewhere along the way I was lured away by brass portholes and such and spent a lot of my free time with a bottle on my back (scuba). Right before Thanksgiving my Sisters husband comes in with a grin on his face along with what was left of a sword and US buckle and bingo the fever once again took over

OP
OP
B

bigm

Jan 6, 2008
Yeah i know what you mean about the (fever). It gets inside you and common sense goes right out the window.
I dont know how it got started but the nickname (gold fever ) can be veeerrry strong.
Tom hwy 225 may prove interesting for md with all of those new subdivisions coming in .I dont know if you know any of the developers up there but it might be worthwile to check them out. The land is high,just perfect for settlements,encampments etc

mike

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
I grew up in the Bay Ranch Subdivision......just a couple of streets down from you. I know of a CW campsite in Grand Bay I have been wanting to check out. Doyou know Earl Gunter whohas a little car A/C shop right down from you?

OP
OP
B

bigm

Jan 6, 2008
Mike I haven't

had the pleasure in meeting Earl these many years, but maybe that will change
Btw do you have access of a underwater detector?

maximum depth is 4 foot.
mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread