Multi-Detectors

Wildman

Feb 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very new to this.
If a PI Detector and a VLF Detector are placed beside each other will the frequencies from them clash?
Or are their frequenies so different they will not effect each other?

From some of the research I have done a PI Detector is better for hunting metal and a VLF Detector is better for hunting meteorites.
I want to know if I can use both types of detectors at the same time and even make a handle to hold both at the same time.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from White Plains, New York, Wildman, and Welcome!

OK, "VLF" (very low frequency) detectors use Radio Waves, transmitting at different frequencies between 4kHz, and 80kHz. “PI,” or Pulse Induction metal detectors do not use radio waves, instead they shoot electronic pulses into the ground several hundred times per second.

Yes, they can interfere with each other within 10’-15’ apart.

Both types of machine are used to find meteorites, with the Fisher Goldbug II, and the Minelab GPX 4000, and GPX 5000 being my preferred meteorite strewnfield weapon.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Feb 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info Terry. That was good and bad news. You gave me good insight on the detector types and I looked up those very impressive brands.
They are both great detectors.

However the part where they will interfere with each other up to 15 feet apart was bad news.

In the picture below I am trying to find out if any kinds of metal detectors can be used side by side as shown in, "Diagram 1", below.
They can be the same kind or different detectors just so long as they can be along side each other.
For instance, two VLF detectors, transmitting at the exact same frequency between 4kHz, and 80kHz, like say 50kHz. each at the same time or two “PI,” metal detectors at the same pulse rate if that is adjustable?
Or any kind of combo side by side of VLF, PI, or BFO metal detector.

I understand that if both coils are facing each other as shown below in, "Diagram 2", then a deffinate interference would happen but what about exact same detectors or different types side by side, will they interfere with each other. Is there a way to make two detectors act like one larger one? If not can a shield be made to stop them from interfering with each other when that close 1 to 2 inches side by side?
Coils.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why on earth do you want to make a tandem metal detector rig?? And yes, the side by side coils will interfere with each other. Like Terry said some detectors will interfere at 10 feet or more and that is with both having their respective coils facing the ground.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Feb 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very good reason why I wish to be able to do this. I am sorry but I don't wish to give that reason away yet.
I can understand if different frequencies and different types of detectors are used together they would interfere.
However exact same brands using the exact same frequency, would they not just simply share each others frequency?

I need to find something tandem that will work together and detect up to about 6 inches into the dirt.
They can be any type of metal detectors, such as point, coil or hand held.

Is this possible at all or can one be made into two pieces and work that way?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are multi-fequency detectors and LARGE coils Wildman. There are "Two Box" machines - all types of adaptations. Give us a general idea of what you are trying to do and we will try and help you out. Two detectors operating at the same freq will step on each other. Some detectors like the Tesoro Cibola and Vaquero, allow you to operate in three different frequencies so you can work next to another machine by switching freqs if you get stepped on.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I am very new to this.
If a PI Detector and a VLF Detector are placed beside each other will the frequencies from them clash?
Or are their frequenies so different they will not effect each other?

From some of the research I have done a PI Detector is better for hunting metal and a VLF Detector is better for hunting meteorites.
I want to know if I can use both types of detectors at the same time and even make a handle to hold both at the same time.

Here's your answer plane and simple. The VLF and PI can't be used side by side because of interference. I base this info on actual field experience. I went to help out a new guy on the beach that had an XLT which is VLF. I was using my Surfmaster PI. at the time. As I approached him, I picked up his detector on my PI. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's what you are probably looking for. Accurate locators sells the model 2100 with a 6' blanket coil that will go down an estimated 16+' and can be towed by hand or ATV. It is a PI rig. Frank

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Wildman,

Getting any 2 detectors to work side-by-side is a crap shoot. Two identical detectors on exactly the same frequency may work, but if one of them shifts by 0.01% (which is common) all bets are off. Mixing VLF & PI is usually a disaster, PI will generally tear up a VLF even at 50 ft. Take a PI detector to a seeded hunt if you want to make enemies.

Not exactly sure what you want to do (and you are welcomed to PM me with more info, if you want a better answer) but there are 2 potential solutions. PI is very receptive to big, homemade coils. You could build a 6'x3' coil on wheels or a drag-along blanket. This is the easy solution. The hard solution is to synchronize 2 or more metal detectors so they can run together. A few yrs ago one of my engineers synchronized 3 MXT's to run a giant triangle array of coils, something for the military as I recall. Can do the same with PI. With tremendous effort you could do PI+VLF.

If meteorites are on the ticket then most people use PI for that, assuming the nickel/iron variety, and assuming somewhat large. Stony aren't very detectable with anything, but VLF better than PI.

- Carl@White's

P.S.--all induction metal detectors -- VLF or PI -- work the same way, using local magnetic fields, not radio waves. Getting them to work together is an induction problem, not an antenna problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread