MUTHERLOAD of UNION LEAD.....found camp shooting range!

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
propointer,350,AT pro(rarely use,prefer 350).
Primary Interest:
Other
i've been hunting this campsite since last spring & have found various & sundry things,including coins,buttons,dropped balls/bullets,ect(see album photos).i knew there had to be a practice range somewhere(12-15 k.were camped there between fall '61-spr.'62),but never expected to find it,much less find any lead there.it was the end of the day & i had found 3 flat buttons(no insignia)in a field.decided to chk a 30' embankment across a nearby creek.PAW-POW(i could hear the sound of the guns!)......they were everywhere!there were singles & bunches, DSCN1608.JPG 1208151404a.jpg 1207151605a.jpg 1208151407.jpg 117 in an hr.that day & 4 hrs .the next.all but a few were .69 cal.round balls.most of the guns during the early part of the war(so i've been told) were muskets or rifled muskets.i forgot my spade(1 of the days),so i dug most of them w/a snap-on gasket scraper.....worked great! DSCN1585.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 12

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job, I have a similar site within walking distance of my house. I walked back in the woods and saw this hill on the other side of a creek and thought "That looks like a great berm to shoot at". I pulled about 50 fired minis and balls out of that hill. Fun huh?��

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never ever heard of finding a shooting range site, but makes sense. Good work. But what a day to forget your digger!!!!

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PW is correct - You just don't hear of a shooting range discovery. Great finds!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful pile of round balls you found. Makes me wonder what else is around there. It seems like you found a spot that'll produce for a long time.

Congrats!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BETTER CHECK YOURSELF FOR LEAD POISONING LOL . WHAT A HELL OF A COLLECTION OF BULLETS AND BALLS.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find where they were shooting from maybe you can finds some dropped coins or buttons and who knows what else. Nice job on the lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions