GEDC2250.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
That is exactly what I was thinking,as one side is flat and the other excurveacate ,tapered to a good bit with a high polish other than the poll of course,thanks for the look.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Another option for the celt is that it was broken and salvaged. It could be the reworked bit from an originally larger tool.

M

mickey

nice engraving. can you photoshop the picture or put chalk powder on both sides so that the engraved lines are easier to see? is the edge engraved? i read that most engraved slate was broken pieces but i am not convinced of that theory yet. it is interesting to note that most engravings are parallel lines that intersect perpendicular or at a 45 degree angle. i rarely see curved lines (i guess it is easier to make straight lines than curved lines). can you tell if the engraving was done before or after the piece was broken? thanks for sharing your pics and hope you post some more in the future.

OP
OP
W

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
I also thought that as well,hard to be sure it does have a high polish though and the poll is smoother than it looks just looks to be alot of pecking/hammering...thanks for the look BTW what do yall make of the fluted point,resharpened clovis maybe? As for the engraving ill try to get a better pic up soon only one whole side is engraved ,it loos like it was originaly engraved then broken in the middle and a new hole drilled at a later time,the engraving is the same pattern all the way around the face of it.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking finds WV sifter. I see the usual "ladder" and "mountain" designs on your Pendant. Are there any "sunbursts" on it anywhere? Like mickey said, most engraved or tally marked Slate pieces have been broken and salvaged. I believe they did this to give the piece "new life" so to speak after it was broken. I also agree with uniface that your Celt was probably used to split wood and hence the battered end.

OP
OP
W

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
Thanks for the reply SRV as thats what im going with,hence a spitting wedge as the form and pecked poll seem to indicate just that ,appreciate the info derived fom here...great site! BTW i didnt see any circular lines at all on the pendant ,just as it shows it has the triangles with stripes through them all around the edge and the ladder markings zig zaged through the middle as well as 2 or three other straight-like lines through the middle under the ladder markings.Just the one side is engraved as you can see.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe, FWIW, that although it's a bit thick for one, your point is not a Clovis, but a Redstone.

Much rarer item, actually.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Another option for the celt is that it was broken and salvaged. It could be the reworked bit from an originally larger tool.
I'd agree, much more likely than use as wedge ( that end is not flattened as you would want it to be to use as a platform for percussion hits with another tool).
Look at the lines of the profile of the celt before the rough bit end, you can tell it was originally shaped to be longer and tapered as many are. Very likely broken and roughly reworked with pecking to prevent further degradation and left unfinished.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting an authentic rare paleo at a gun show is statistically more rare than the actual rare paleo

Depends on the gun show. I got a phenomenally nice Browns Valley lanceolate made of a glossy green&brown flint I've never seen replicators use at a little gun show in rural western Pennsylvania in 1964. Gave it to a friend later as a token of esteem & thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions