My coolest token EVER. 1917 Baseball team schedule with Cigar Ad

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got up early this morning to hit a new permission. The house turned out to be a bust as well as two more permissions after that.

Finally, house number 4, built in 1955 gave me the signals i was looking for. At about 3 inches off the front sidewalk i got a clear high tone with numbers indicating a possible quarter. Lifting the coil proved it was not a can and pinpointing it indicated it was pretty deep. I was expecting to dig about 7 inches but wound up digging this token at 10.

Its a Carolina Baseball League game schedule token with all the dates and places they were to play.
Unfortunately, not all the games were played due to WW1
This one is for the Greensboro patriots
FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg
I found this picture on a worthpoint link.
This token is from the same year but different team.
el-rees-cigar-tobacco-token-1917_1_138cda2de1edf54735218b91ca0ab706.jpg

The back side of the token is an advertisement for 5 cent El-REES-So cigars.

The middle of the token says 10 Cent quality 5 cent Price.
FullSizeRender_2.jpg el-rees-cigar-tobacco-token-1917_1_138cda2de1edf54735218b91ca0ab7061.jpg
After a little research...i found that El-Rees-So was founded in 1915 and made right here in Greensboro.
It had 300 employees by 1917 and is today a very well known brand of cigar.
I found this token only a few blocks from where the Cigar factory once stood.

Here is a picture of the factory in 1917
libcdm1.uncg.edu.jpg

By far, this is my favorite token to date!

Of course i found the usual junk...an old pocket watch case, some clad, a few wheat pennies and a bent Lead seal.
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

HH everyone and see you on the next hunt!

Last edited:
Upvote 44

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is SICK!!! :occasion14:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that token is really cool. things these days are more like 5 cent quality 10 dollar price

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Love that baseball token. I played at a high level and loved the game still do. Dont see tokens like that ever.

Jeremy

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that baseball token. I played at a high level and loved the game still do. Dont see tokens like that ever.

Jeremy

Congrats on your baseball achievement! LOL the highest level i ever got to in the game of baseball was 5th grade bench warmer.

As for the token, I did not know something like it existed. To top it off, it has enough information on it to keep me researching for a very very long time. So many directions to go. From looking up the individual players of the team and tracing their lives to going deeper into the outcome of the Schedule...IE Durham Bulls vs Greensboro Patriots at Greensboro on May 25-26, 1917 and May 28-29, 1917. What was the outcome of those games? who played or was this one of the games canceled because of the War? So many questions to be answered from one single token!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread