My first (broken) point!!

Malus

Greenie
Jul 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After days, weeks, and months of looking here in Southern New Brunswick I finally found my first partial point! I know it is just a tip, but I'm dying to learn anything I can about it. Can anyone hazard a guess on time period when it was made or the source of material? It is mostly a reddish brown and toffee color, waxy, and shines slightly translucent amber along the edges in the sun. It seems like the shape of the point is starting to contract right where the break happened. It is lenticular in cross section, though the thickest part is off to one edge more than the other. It may have been resharpened, maybe it's a knife?

The pictures are getting squished when I post so here's the link to the album too. https://imgur.com/a/6HtunWv

TUYDqD7.jpg

K5KQWxP.jpg

8i3veCc.jpg

waw0MMj.jpg

H0LxpvX.jpg

I find the material looks a bit like this Ramah chert biface

PgIKcWO.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the base is usually the key to id, you could try looking at flaking patterns and beveled or not edges, quality of material heat treatment to make some educated guesses
Just a wag it looks like random flaking with a average quality material and given woodland are more common I’d say woodland/Mississippian point, a dart or a knife.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Malus

Greenie
Jul 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you're right on the random flaking, and average quality material. The edges aren't beveled either. There's a white inclusion where it broke. The offset cross section makes me think it maybe a resharpened knife. Thanks for your input!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i was thinking knife too... nice score....you are just getting started!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread