My first Day Coin Roll Hunting

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I go on to my little story, I just wanted to thank everyone here at THN for the loads of information and inspiration they have provided me with to finally take the plunge into this wonderful world of treasure hunting. As a kid I have always fantasized about finding a long lost treasure or being like Indiana Jones and scouring the world for priceless artifacts, and while I can say I am far from being an Indiana Jones, reading this priceless information here on these forums has made me take the plunge on what I hope to be many adventures with my new Metal Detector.

Either way Im aware this has nothing to do with coin roll hunting so I want to get to the main story. Ive recently started working as a teller at a major bank as a part time job while Im in College, so one day as I was sitting there bored an older lady who works with me pointed out a quarter she had received earlier and to my surprise this quarter looked different from all the ones I was used to getting all day. The quarter was from 1963 and she started to explain to me about how these quarters were special and the silver that they contain inside made them worth holding onto. She let me buy it from her and since then I started to do research on how I could obtain more of these amazing pieces of our countries history and it led me to Coin roll hunting and these forums.

With that said I started to quietly look through some of the rolls I had in my possession at the bank and sadly after going through quite a bit of my own rolls and some Half Dollars a customer brought in a while ago I had unfortunately found no more silver coins except for one 1944 war nickle.

Not disheartened I went to some of the branches in my area and after a few misses asking if any had half dollar rolls lying around I struck "silver" on my third bank. As I walked up to the teller window I asked the teller If she had half dollars and she told me that a customer brought some in yesterday, not getting excited I asked her If I could have all of them for my little brother who collects them and she quietly started to bring her from her coin box. As she brought them out I saw writing on the rolls and immediately new I struck silver. When I got home I unrolled $110.00 worth of Half dollars and in total I got 98 1965-1969 Kennedy half dollars.

So to make a long story short I just wanted to say thank you to everyone again for this amazing community and I look forward to sharing my finds with all of you in the time to come. And it goes to show you no matter where you look treasure could be just right around the corner. :laughing7:

Heres some pictures of the Half dollars

IMG_0231.JPG IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0234.JPG

Upvote 0

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Nice score! I was a teller in college was well, although that was long ago before I got into CRH. Of course this was from 1999 to 2001, when silver was hovering around the $4 to $6 an ounce range. Regardless, I could kick myself for never searching coin while I had that job.

Make friends with the vault teller and see if she'll let you order halves to search or dump halves you've purchased elsewhere. Since you work there, you can lug all the coin around so the only hassle the vault teller has is including it in her counts and arranging for the armored car service to take or bring the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread