My First Hunt!

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got back from my first ever hunt!

It was awesome! I just went to the local park (MDs are allowed there) and got my first bottle cap and first penny! :goldcoin:

I created a blog to hopefully chronicle this new found pastime!

I'm long-winded and there are a lot of pictures, so be warned.

Now I'm wondering how I made it this long without getting a metal detector sooner?

Good Hunting,
Coinhawk

Upvote 7

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats Coinhawk !! this is just the beginning of a great fun hobby. HH & GL

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BREATHE!!!! You need to remember to breathe once in a while. It is a great hobby, lots to see, lots to find. It is relaxing if you let it be. Some of us have been doing this a long time and still cannot wait to get out and hunt again. Trash, there is plenty and you will find it. It is part of the game. If you dig it, take it with you. Sort it as you see fit but do not leave it lay. You will be going back to some of the same areas again. Why find the same piece of trash. Pictures, we do like pictures. It is cold and frozen in Kansas City right now, I have multiple spots begging to be dug. Between work and weather, spring cannot come soon enough.

Good luck!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
D3t3ctr0n HERE! Message me anytime if you need tips or advice for Metal Detecting. I started Metal Detecting back in April 2013 and I am hooked. I hunt primarily coins, so if you want to find lots of coins quickly and satisfyingly, here are some tips:

1. Make sure your Metal Detector is set primarily to find Coins. For example, the Garrett Ace has a COIN selector option.

2. Parks with Playgrounds and Schools with Playgrounds are great places to start and learn your detector because they are usually so plentiful with COINS!

3. GET A PINPOINTER! I can't image metal detecting without one. It saves so much time using a Pinpointer. Holes are smaller and bending over is shorter.

These are quick tips. I am sure I can help you with more suggestions. But here is the best tip of all...."NEVER assume a spot has no coins. Some places you think might be lame are the best hunting days you ever had!

Good Luck Buddy and keep on HUNTIN' - oh, and get a Garrett Ace 350 ASAP!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! Good start to a life long journey.

OP
OP
C

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BREATHE!!!! You need to remember to breathe once in a while. It is a great hobby, lots to see, lots to find. It is relaxing if you let it be. Some of us have been doing this a long time and still cannot wait to get out and hunt again. Trash, there is plenty and you will find it. It is part of the game. If you dig it, take it with you. Sort it as you see fit but do not leave it lay. You will be going back to some of the same areas again. Why find the same piece of trash. Pictures, we do like pictures. It is cold and frozen in Kansas City right now, I have multiple spots begging to be dug. Between work and weather, spring cannot come soon enough.

Good luck!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Good advice. Definitely having a blast thus far. Now when I drive pkaces I'm scanning for old places that might be huntable. :)

OP
OP
C

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
D3t3ctr0n HERE! Message me anytime if you need tips or advice for Metal Detecting. I started Metal Detecting back in April 2013 and I am hooked. I hunt primarily coins, so if you want to find lots of coins quickly and satisfyingly, here are some tips:

1. Make sure your Metal Detector is set primarily to find Coins. For example, the Garrett Ace has a COIN selector option.

2. Parks with Playgrounds and Schools with Playgrounds are great places to start and learn your detector because they are usually so plentiful with COINS!

3. GET A PINPOINTER! I can't image metal detecting without one. It saves so much time using a Pinpointer. Holes are smaller and bending over is shorter.

These are quick tips. I am sure I can help you with more suggestions. But here is the best tip of all...."NEVER assume a spot has no coins. Some places you think might be lame are the best hunting days you ever had!

Good Luck Buddy and keep on HUNTIN' - oh, and get a Garrett Ace 350 ASAP!

I got the 350 last week and hit the patk today. I'm in Texas too so the weather (at least in the hill country was perfect for hunting coins.

I'll take all the advice you can muster. :)

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Congratulations I am glad u like this wonderful hobby! Happy Hunting!
Jolteon

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424020869.446250.jpg

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your close to Fort Worth, maybe we can go hunting sometime? I welcome the company! :)

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You picked the best hobby in the world, if you ask me. Better late than never. And welcome to TNet!

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rule #1- fill your holes!
#2- make sure you have permission
Too many people ignore these 2 simple rules when they start hunting and if enough people do it it will be bad for all. Most of all enjoy yourself- i's a great hobby!

OP
OP
C

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rule #1- fill your holes!
#2- make sure you have permission
Too many people ignore these 2 simple rules when they start hunting and if enough people do it it will be bad for all. Most of all enjoy yourself- i's a great hobby!

I filled the holes and hunted in a park that allows MDing. :)

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Another rule is 'Always recheck (scan) your 'find' holes! No matter if you found a cent or a bottle-cap, there may be more!

I drove my younger brother nuts by rescanning his holes and getting good stuff.

And Welcome to TreasureNet!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another rule is 'Always recheck (scan) your 'find' holes! No matter if you found a cent or a bottle-cap, there may be more!

I drove my younger brother nuts by rescanning his holes and getting good stuff.

And Welcome to TreasureNet!

Great advice! I rescanned my penny dig but probably missed the others.

:)

RCDIGGS

Greenie
Apr 17, 2013
southeast NH
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE, BOUNTY HUNTER PLATINUM, TEKNETICS T2, GARRETT PROPOINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you get further along in the hobby, you will start asking for permission to hunt various spots. When I ask, weather I get a yes or no, I always leave my name and number and a thank you for their time and offer to help if they ever loose anything. It has come back to pay off for me a couple times.

I never carry a full size shovel when asking to hunt around houses... just looks bad even if you fill holes back. Respect peoples land better than you would your own.

I live in NH where there is lots of old farms, often with more than one generation living together. Just for this reason I always carry an older Garrett ace as a second machine, and will offer a reluctant land owner or son/grandson to try along with me. This opens lot of doors and I get to show people how to detect respectfully.

If you don't already have a pinpointer get one

Happy hunting and welcome to the hobby

Last edited:

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre and Garrett ACE 250/Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to this addiction... *cough*....I mean hobby :) .... I started a month ago and I go hunting every chance I get.

OP
OP
C

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As you get further along in the hobby, you will start asking for permission to hunt various spots. When I ask, weather I get a yes or no, I always leave my name and number and a thank you for their time and offer to help if they ever loose anything. It has come back to pay off for me a couple times.

I never carry a full size shovel when asking to hunt around houses... just looks bad even if you fill holes back. Respect peoples land better than you would your own.

I live in NH where there is lots of old farms, often with more than one generation living together. Just for this reason I always carry an older Garrett ace as a second machine, and will offer a reluctant land owner or son/grandson to try along with me. This opens lot of doors and I get to show people how to detect respectfully.

If you don't already have a pinpointer get one

Happy hunting and welcome to the hobby

Thanks for the great advice! I love the idea of leaving behind contact info and an offer to help them find a lost item as a way to get access to the land. I'll have to save up for the pinpointer. My spending money budget got chewed up by the MD. :)

misterchivo said:
Welcome to this addiction... *cough*....I mean hobby .... I started a month ago and I go hunting every chance I get.

Thanks! I'm glad to see so many Texas metal detectorists here. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread