My first pennies

Lyfeguard

Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I had my regular pick-up bank order me two boxes of pennies to go with my regular order of halves. I wanted something to do in between my days of searching halves. My first boxes of pennies to search. I want to say I have a new respect for you serious penny hunters now that I didn't have before. Nickle hunters too. It was a lot more work then edge searching silver coins. Even when I use to date search half dollars, it was a lot faster then pennies. Don't mistake my words I had a lot of fun searching and found 13 wheaties (1-41, 1-42s, 1-44s, 2-45, 2-53d, 3-55d, 1-57, 2-58) between the two $25 dollar boxes. 2 Canadian pennies too (60 & 69). Of course I'm hooked.

Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cents are fun to search. Yes they take a little longer, but you can find some neat errors and the occasional rarity.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the world of CRH addiction!

I don't know the method you're using to sort pennies but, if you're not using a mechanical coin sorter, maybe give this a try. After running my pennies through my home brewed sorter I would lay a handful of the 95% coppers in a single layer on a 12" x 12" piece of clear acrylic plastic, look for wheats, lay another 12 x 12 acrylic piece over the single layer of pennies, clamp the "sandwich" together on the side nearest me with three spring clamps, flip the "sandwich", and look for the wheat backs on the pennies with their reverse side now facing me.

This REALLY sped up the wheat search process. The two tips I would offer if you try this are; buy acrylic plastic that is thin enough to slightly bow as you flip the "sandwich" and ALWAYS rotate (flip) the "sandwich" so the side with the three clamps goes toward your feet and not your head. Bowing the plastic tends to keep the pennies in a single layer and in place. Rotating the clamps toward your feet will help keep the pennies in the "sandwich" instead of flying out the unclamped end as they did the first time I flipped the sandwich with the unclamped side rotating toward the floor.

Good luck in your searching!

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cents are time consuming but neat because are are so many minor varieties that you can look for. You can pick up the Cherry Picker's guide if you're interested in that type of deep searching. I don't have a loupe, and with my eyes, I am limited in what I can see, but I do look for several commonly known varieties such as 1972 DDO, 1983 DDR, 1984 DDO, 1988 RDV-006, 1995 DDO, 1992 CLOSE AM, 1998-2000 WIDE AM. I look for BIE and filled letters/numbers on 1960's issues.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stang1968 said:
Cents are time consuming but neat because are are so many minor varieties that you can look for. You can pick up the Cherry Picker's guide if you're interested in that type of deep searching. I don't have a loupe, and with my eyes, I am limited in what I can see, but I do look for several commonly known varieties such as 1972 DDO, 1983 DDR, 1984 DDO, 1988 RDV-006, 1995 DDO, 1992 CLOSE AM, 1998-2000 WIDE AM. I look for BIE and filled letters/numbers on 1960's issues.

Any luck with any of those varieties?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet. I've already got 1/4 of a complete set of wheats in just a couple of months. Sounds like you'll reach that level really soon. Probably quicker than I did because I only do one box a week. Good luck and be on the lookout for Indian heads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread