My first ring EVER and its sterling! Also a mystery item!

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very new to the hobby, been out a dozen times or so ever. Already discouraged because I am desperate to find something good! Today I found sterling! Was off a hiking path near a river and found the ring only about 2" deep! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457306901.792710.jpg
Was excited to pull it out and even more so when I saw the "925" inside! I have been burned by clad too many times already so I wasnt getting my hopes up when I first pulled it up, especially at only 2". But here it is! First silver ever!!!

Then up river a little I found this mystery item. It was too heavy to bring out with me but its interesting. Any ideas? Almost looks like some type of cast for a knife or blade? There was a famous tool company nearby, perhaps it got washed down stream in a flood? Should I go back for it??
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457307058.796408.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457307071.031495.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Upvote 10

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the ring. If I dig something I take it out I use a back pack just for those big items

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
First ring is priceless.....unless of course you figure the thousands of dollars you WILL pay for future metal detecting equipment :laughing7:
Congratulations!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver ring! Awesome!
Don't get discouraged, the majority of us don't find silver or gold every time, it's rare, depending on where you search and the amount of time you put into searching.
Call me weird but seeing all the great things others discover encourages me because it was out there in the ground, everywhere before it was dug up. There are tons of undiscovered silver, gold, plat., and relics still out there, and more being lost every day...but you won't find it if you don't search for it...keep searching!
Good luck, and happy hunting!

OP
OP
danjsargent

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! What a great hobby and community. Im finding it to be the nicest out there!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done! Plenty more silver where that came from! Western Ma is looking added with goodies

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a keeper!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I hope this will be the start of a very long and prosperous treasure hunting experience for you.
Most of us here started with finding stuff like this, it's what got us hooked, and the reason why we still treasure hunt so many years later. :laughing7:
One of my earliest metal detecting discoveries was that of a small sterling ring as well.
When I found it I knew so little about silver (and treasure in general) that I didn't even know it was silver.
I simply knew it was a ring, so I put it in a box and just forgot about it for a decade.
Was cleaning up around the house a few days ago and found the little box with the beat up old ring inside, and it brought back so many memories.
Yours is alot better, mine is ragged :laughing7:

This is my first silver ring as it looks today:
20160308_015206 2.jpg

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver! That's a nice ring!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on your first silver!

OP
OP
danjsargent

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I hope this will be the start of a very long and prosperous treasure hunting experience for you.
Most of us here started with finding stuff like this, it's what got us hooked, and the reason why we still treasure hunt so many years later. :laughing7:
One of my earliest metal detecting discoveries was that of a small sterling ring as well.
When I found it I knew so little about silver (and treasure in general) that I didn't even know it was silver.
I simply knew it was a ring, so I put it in a box and just forgot about it for a decade.
Was cleaning up around the house a few days ago and found the little box with the beat up old ring inside, and it brought back so many memories.
Yours is alot better, mine is ragged :laughing7:

This is my first silver ring as it looks today:
View attachment 1282873

Thats a very cool looking ring though! Thanks for looking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread