Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goals for this detecting "season." (2010-11) FINAL RESULTS

My "season" begins when the farmers have completed their harvest (which is now), and ends when they plant in the Spring. I decided to set a few realistic goals.

1. 20+ silver coins (sitting at 6 as of 4-1-11)
2. 1 V or Shield nickel (found a V today!)
3. 1 Standing Liberty Quarter (found 1918-S 12-2-10)
4. 1 Barber Quarter (found AU 1916-D on 11-27-10)
5. 1 Seated Liberty of any denomination
6. Break my record for oldest coin found to date - 1870 Indian is the oldest so far.
7. 1 gold or platinum ring - this is gonna be tough as I rarely hunt the places where rings are commonly found

And, as always, that cache of Mason jars full of $20 gold pieces! :laughing9:

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My goals for this detecting "season."

sounds like you are hunting open fields as i have been wanting to try that. how do you pick your areas you want to hunt and have you had any success in the past. i live east of ft smith and there has been lots of history in this area but have not found anything of importance. good hunting suprsdave

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My goals for this detecting "season."

Yes, I do a lot of hunting in the open fields in-between the Fall harvest and Spring plantings. I like it for a number of reasons. The digging is usually easy and I don't have to be careful. Of course I fill in my holes, but its not like I'm detecting in a well manicured lawn. The field gets plowed every year - "new" stuff always seems to pop up. Plus, with the plowing, its unlikely that a coin or other object could get too deep for the detector to pick up. And finally, I have never been told "no" by a farmer when seeking permission to hunt his field. The one thing you can do (and thus should avoid) to get a farmer more riled than anything else is to "rut up" his field roads with your vehicle when its muddy.

The areas to detect are pretty straightforward. Most old homesites will tell you where they were. "Back in the day" most family farms were 40-80 acres. Pretty much every 40 acres had at least 1 house on it. Look for broken glass, ceramic, etc. Look for what appears to be old driveways that now just lead into a field. Most of these went to houses. A group of (or sometimes even just a single) tree(s) in a field can help you home in on where the house used to sit. Some what are now only field roads, used to be main county roads which can put old homesites seemingly out in the middle of nowhere. A copy of an old county map is a good thing to have if you can find one. Older people in the community can be a huge source of detecting leads as well.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My goals for this detecting "season." UPDATED

Updated as of 12-2-10

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm looking forward to finding my first silver coin at some point. I did find a gold ring. Of all places it was at a school playground on a Sunday morning. It was 1 inch below next to railroad ties used to hold in the mulch for a swing and slide set. I imagine a teacher was sitting there one cold day and it probably slipped off un-noticed in the cold.

Best regards!

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ArkieBassMan said:
My "season" begins when the farmers have completed their harvest (which is now), and ends when they plant in the Spring. I decided to set a few realistic goals.

1. 20+ silver coins (sitting at 6 as of 4-1-11)
2. 1 V or Shield nickel (found a V today!)
3. 1 Standing Liberty Quarter (found 1918-S 12-2-10)
4. 1 Barber Quarter (found AU 1916-D on 11-27-10)
5. 1 Seated Liberty of any denomination
6. Break my record for oldest coin found to date - 1870 Indian is the oldest so far.
7. 1 gold or platinum ring - this is gonna be tough as I rarely hunt the places where rings are commonly found

And, as always, that cache of Mason jars full of $20 gold pieces! :laughing9:

FINAL RESULTS:

1. Found 7: missed goal by 13
2. goal met - 1907
3. goal met - 1918S
4. goal met - 1916D
5. goal not met
6. goal met - 1852 Bank of Upper Canada half cent token
7. goal not met

Not a bad year for me. 7 silver coins in a year is above my average, and they were a nice variety last season. I found a war nickel, mercury dime, Barber dime, Washington quarter, Standing Liberty quarter, AU+ Barber quarter, and a Franklin half. Also found a couple of buffalo nickels, a few Indians, several wheats, and 3 pieces of Sterling silver jewelry. The war nickel, "V" nickel, SLQ, Barber quarter, and Franklin half were firsts for me which is always nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread