My Great Grandfather's 14k Waltham pocket watch

Battleborn_JKU

Oct 10, 2018
Reno, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not necessarily a "find," but this was just passed on to me by my father. This 14k Waltham pocket watch belonged to my Great-grandfather, Frederick Irving Hopkins, a native of Barnstable, Mass. It's in remarkable, like new condition...not a single nick, scratch or blemish, and I believe dates to the late 1800's.

20181214_144306.jpg

Upvote 22

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking watch, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful! If you are confident in opening the backplate, you will find quite a bit of information about the movement that you can use to easily search and comeup with a timeframe. Hold on to that heirloom!!!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed a beauty. The Dial at least id from the art deco movement late 20's to 1930's IMO If you are not confident in how to remove the back do not attempt it. Should you feel the need it should be threaded and will unscrew counterclockwise. Prying will damage it. You may know this, just stating. Cheers

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice watch! I grew up on the Cape and used to go to the Barnstable county fair. Got married recently in Waltham and had the reception at the Charles river museum of industry and innovation which is an old industrial mill building. They have a bunch of the machinery used by the Waltham Watch co. and I think they may have built the very building that houses the museum.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
1924 model, gold filled. I have the white gold one. They are not worth much, but collecting watches is one of my things; this is one of my favourite companies because they provided an elegant watch that a working person could afford.

I got my first old watch in the 70s from my great grandfather, it was over then for me, starting collecting and been collecting since then.

Funny thing, I have not worn or carried a watch since 2004 when I retired from the Army. But still collecting.

If watch collecting bug has not gotten you yet then start reading the history of the company and some of their designers.

OP
OP
B

Battleborn_JKU

Oct 10, 2018
Reno, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll be taking it to a competent jeweler eventually. Really looking forward to what they can tell me!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1924 model, gold filled. I have the white gold one. They are not worth much, but collecting watches is one of my things; this is one of my favourite companies because they provided an elegant watch that a working person could afford.

I got my first old watch in the 70s from my great grandfather, it was over then for me, starting collecting and been collecting since then.

Funny thing, I have not worn or carried a watch since 2004 when I retired from the Army. But still collecting.

If watch collecting bug has not gotten you yet then start reading the history of the company and some of their designers.
I knew there was something I liked about Oddjob. How many watches you got? huh? Huh? I have over a hundred pockets and wrist watches well I stopped counting when I hit 250 and that was a long long time ago! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread