My impressions of the CTX 3030 thus far

Hmmmm...I suppose you could assign a much lower tone to 12-44 and a high tone to 12-45. Then you might perhaps be able to tell by tone. Any thought anyone?

And just where do you think a clad quarter will fall?

Thanks for the reply. I doubt that first statement too. Today I did some air testing. When set in low trash or high trash, my CTX reads Rosies and Mercs at 12-45 and clad dimes and pennies at 12-44. I did have one Merc that was an exception and read at 12-44. I don't know why two Mercs in similar condition would read different. Gound/Coin or Ferrous/Coin would drop all the co numbers by 1.

I listened for difference in sound between clad and silver and their is no difference in the sound whatsover.

From what I have seen so far - any shallow coin reading 12-44 has come up clad. I"m so sick of digging clad I'm thinking of just not digging anything that doesn't at least hit 12-45.
The 12-44 will just tell you that it's probably a clad, copper, or silver coin. The depth reading will usually indicate how old it is. But you never know.... it could be a silver ring too! If you're not going to go after a 12-44, that's ok with me. Someone else will....me included.

12-46 or 47

And that is exactly why that approach won't work.

Are there sites with so much silver that digging some clad slows down the treasure recovery significantly? I wish I had that problem around here.

Its really tough having a machine that makes a person get tired of digging coins. I dig all good signals, I don't want to miss anything.

I recently purchased a ctx from Bart about a month ago. I upgraded from the at pro. I've gone out about 7 times going over sites I hit hard with the at pro. I read the manual cover to cover 3 times and watched Gone Hunting for History videos about 5 times or more. I found clad and junk my first couple outings, 3rd time hit my first Indian head penny's, and on my 7th time out finally hit a Rosie. I can say that all of my good finds have been at 6 inches or greater in depth, and the Gone hunting settings in combined have helped considerably.

When I get to a site I dig all signals until I hit a Wheat penny or something pre 1965. Then when I am confident all the goodies are at a specific depth il pass all the shallow signals. Or the worst case scenario you find a silver at 4 inches, now you have to dig them all.

I recently purchased a ctx from Bart about a month ago. I upgraded from the at pro. I've gone out about 7 times going over sites I hit hard with the at pro. I read the manual cover to cover 3 times and watched Gone Hunting for History videos about 5 times or more. I found clad and junk my first couple outings, 3rd time hit my first Indian head penny's, and on my 7th time out finally hit a Rosie. I can say that all of my good finds have been at 6 inches or greater in depth, and the Gone hunting settings in combined have helped considerably.

When I get to a site I dig all signals until I hit a Wheat penny or something pre 1965. Then when I am confident all the goodies are at a specific depth il pass all the shallow signals. Or the worst case scenario you find a silver at 4 inches, now you have to dig them all.

Great post! Gone Hunting program for the Minelab CTX REALLY wake that thing up and make it a BEAST!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back