MY MISTAKE

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: A few days ago, I posted a thread titled Colorado Claim. I had just been reading the threads and must have had Colorado on the brain. I've never prospected in Colorado, altho I'd like too. I should have titled it ARIZONA CLAIM. I owned the Rainbows End Three in this particular area. Now hindsight is 20/20, and as I sit here at home in Pa. I think of the possibility of walking past the gold for years. Of the many drywashes on this claim, one in particular about 10-12 feet wide, has a natural screening table. The bedrock, is only inches deep, and on this one, the stone is split and running what I'd say at about a 30 degree angle straight down for about 2 to 3 hundred feet. Now I was wondering, if maybe one of TNET members might own it. If so I could probably put them on to some good gold and I mean good gold.

Tnx for reading
Butch

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sherm, I changed your title and post to Arizona.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Rainbow's end near Morristown?

GPAA phoenix chapter had one named Rainbow's End down there, and judging by what was posted on the GPAP page on Facebook, some building contractor claim jumped it. I don't know where it's at now. GPAP filed paperwork and staked it on January 3rd I believe and had witnesses. The jumper pulled those stakes and filed his paperwork with the date of January 2nd. There was a bit of a discussion if they were going to take the guy to court as he had already called the sheriff out on a few occasions and run GPAA members off the claim, but I don't know what came of all of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tnx for your input. Altho my claim, was thru the BLM out of Phoenix, as of last year there wasn't any GPAA claims in that area. There are/was 4 Rainbow Ends claims in my area. This is an ongoing way of jumping claims, filing with a pre date. You're obligated to keep your claim paper work at a corner post. I had mine in a plastic replica canning jar with a snap on lid so water wouldn't get into it. Someone broke it and remove the paper work once. I always had extra copies in the truck and got another jar and did it again. Had one fellow try to cross file, but mine was still listed as paid and active and was told by the Phoenix BLM office not to worry, so I just removed his paper work. These claims come and go as most of the people that purchase them don't know where or how to mine them. Like me, they see the shows and the gold, so I'm going to be rich. Then they realize they need at least a $1000 worth of equipment and oh yea, a lot of muscle to make it operate. I had the claim for 8 years, found some gold and really enjoyed what I was doing. And that's why I want to help the person that has this claim as I know there is good gold there. I really wish I had it back.

Say, you guys have a sparkling day and may the bottom of pan always have yellow

butch

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are 9 Rainbows End claims in Arizona all in that same area. One of those is named Rainbows End #3 but that is a new claim made in 2013 in Section 11 - not the claim you bought from the Bigelows.

The Bigelows have been turning and churning those claims, and many others, in the LSD for 20+ years. They often overclaim themselves and their buyers in hopes of making more than one sale in the same spot - since they sell to out of state folks on eBay most of their buyers never know the difference. It's a name game. That area in Section 11 isn't known for particularly good gold but if you find a patch you could have a good week or two.

The GPAP does have a claim they located last year named "Rainbows End" but that claim is way over in Section 29 so I doubt there could be any confusion with the other Rainbows End claims. There is a prior dated location to that GPAP claim that Brett made but the whole Section was claimed up years ago by Roadrunner and some of the locals. Most of those claims were located in the early to mid 1990's. The Woody Wampler claim "Dumb Luck" is there too - for years that was a GPAA claim and I think it might still be one. There is also the AZ AU #1 and AZ AU #2 GPAA claims since the mid 1990's in that Section.

Although I am very familiar with that area I still had to look up the claims you wrote about and refresh my memory of who owns what. I used Land Matters Arizona Mining Claims Map to do that with the search function. Give it a try and you can see who has what claim and where it's located.

It's a nice offer you make to help out new claim owners. Being that the Bigelow crew still use those same claim names in different areas it would be more helpful if you could describe where your claim was located. Once you find your old claimed area you can see what the new claim is named and who owns it. There is even contact information on the linked Serial Register page. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have done your research my friend, Indeed, I did buy The Rainbows End #3 from the Bigelows. It is located along the old stagecoach road from Wickenburg to Phoenix. Last year, when I revisited the claim, that road was in bad shape. It's for off road vehicles only, unless you want to tear up your truck. Thru this claim runs a vein of pinkish white quartz, Ted called sunstone. Thru the ages, time eroded this in these old drywashes. This is my belief as to where the gold had come from. The upper part of the wash has no gold that I found. The gold started showing up, after some feeder washes that cut thru this quartz came into play. At the bottom of my old claim, the next claim was the Lost Pick #2, (I believe that name has changed) as of last year, being on a corner in the wash, the bedrock had cracks you could stick your arm in. I'm told the owners got a lot of gold via modified bucket vacs out of these cracks. The black sand was coarser than on other claims I've seen and the gold being crystalline. If I knew how to use the post a picture, I would post pictures of the gold I found. From flour, to pickers, and even a specimen nugget about the size of a pea. The quartz has since dislodged from the nugget. All the larger gold is coarse, meaning it hadn't traveled very far. Liked I posted previously, the overburden is very shallow, most of it could be moved with your foot or a rake. Water I had to bring in, in 5 gal buckets. I made the mistake of leaving the lid off my panning tote one day after mining, and being the land is open range, well, you can guess the outcome of that. Took quite a while before the cow patties ended around the site.

Well again, tnx for the info.

Butch

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
You have done your research my friend, Indeed, I did buy The Rainbows End #3 from the Bigelows. It is located along the old stagecoach road from Wickenburg to Phoenix. Last year, when I revisited the claim, that road was in bad shape. It's for off road vehicles only, unless you want to tear up your truck. Thru this claim runs a vein of pinkish white quartz, Ted called sunstone. Thru the ages, time eroded this in these old drywashes. This is my belief as to where the gold had come from. The upper part of the wash has no gold that I found. The gold started showing up, after some feeder washes that cut thru this quartz came into play. At the bottom of my old claim, the next claim was the Lost Pick #2, (I believe that name has changed) as of last year, being on a corner in the wash, the bedrock had cracks you could stick your arm in. I'm told the owners got a lot of gold via modified bucket vacs out of these cracks. The black sand was coarser than on other claims I've seen and the gold being crystalline. If I knew how to use the post a picture, I would post pictures of the gold I found. From flour, to pickers, and even a specimen nugget about the size of a pea. The quartz has since dislodged from the nugget. All the larger gold is coarse, meaning it hadn't traveled very far. Liked I posted previously, the overburden is very shallow, most of it could be moved with your foot or a rake. Water I had to bring in, in 5 gal buckets. I made the mistake of leaving the lid off my panning tote one day after mining, and being the land is open range, well, you can guess the outcome of that. Took quite a while before the cow patties ended around the site.

Well again, tnx for the info.

Butch

That road is in pretty bad shape. I have a 40 acre claim coming off of it, more towards the old Monarch Mine. I know I did a fair amount of bringing in rock to fill in some of the ruts, but running from the Monarch wash towards LSD. Someone else last year put out a good amount of concrete bags to cap off the drainage gullies coming off the road too, but again from the Monarch wash side.

Someone on the GPAP page went out there I want to say late fall and did a considerable amount of work filling in some very bad spots from the LSD side of the road and made it exponentially better. Last time I ran it from the Morristown side, it still has some nasty spots but pretty passable if you take your time in 4wd.

OP
OP
S

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say, to help you out a little, don't know where you live or are staying, but you can drive up Monarch wash. I can give you the directions off the Wickenburg hwy, but it might be better for you, if you drove down the Monarch from the stagecoach rd to get familar. I believe it's about 6-7 miles to the hwy. Just keep going to the gate.

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Say, to help you out a little, don't know where you live or are staying, but you can drive up Monarch wash. I can give you the directions off the Wickenburg hwy, but it might be better for you, if you drove down the Monarch from the stagecoach rd to get familar. I believe it's about 6-7 miles to the hwy. Just keep going to the gate.

I go in generally up the Monarch wash, but I've come in from Stagecoach out of Wickenburg just to check it out or through Morristown. I'm in NW Phoenix, Tramanto area, so Morristown saves a decent amount of time if its not wet.

OP
OP
S

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saltwater, you are fortunate to be that close that close to the gold. 2200 mile one way for me. You know, always good to correspond with a fellow prospector. The "rainbows end three" is about a half mile to right on the stagecoach road out of Monarch Wash. There should be a pvc pipe just off the road on the right at the top of a little knoll. There is a road into the claim that goes a few hundred feet. A short walk down to the wash and about a quarter mile down the wash, you'll see the straight stretch. This is where the natural screening table is. To the left and right of the wash, this same rock formation has to be under the overburden. That overburden wasn't always there, but the bedrock was and so was the wash and so was the gold. That bedrock on the left, has to go
all the way over to that granite wall. On the left going down, metal detecting, found a small nugget. At the time, never gave it a thought about drywashing it, as it was so far to pack the generator, shopvac, water, etc. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to do it now. Another good place for gold is that big pileup of stone behind that brush in the middle of wash going down. It would be a lot of hard work, pick and shoveling in that overburden, but , as a semi-retired stone, block, tile, and concrete mason, I know what work is. Still doing it at almost 73.

Well, hope you get a chance to take a look at the "Rainbows End #3

May you always have yellow in the bottom of your pan

Butch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread