My MXT PRO

BowmanPa

Jun 3, 2013
Millerstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Just Bought MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got my MXT PRO in the mail yesterday and I have to tell you it looks like it came off the Show Room Floor...the only scratches on it is a few on the bottom of the coil.

Now I have to figure out how to use it...I put batteries in it and went out in my yard...I think I did the gb right but the only thing that kept coming up was Iron on th screen. I am going to get ahold of my local White's Dealer to see if they have classes on how to use a MD...guess I am saying classes for "101 How to use Metal Detectors for Dummies!"

But once I get the hang of it I will have allot of fun. I want to learn to use it before I go to the beach in Aug.
Also I think I need a smaller coil for it since it has the 3000 coil on it.

Emmett

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whites makes great detectors im using the v3i and can barely put it down all machines have a learning curve to them definetly read ur manual a couple times ive read mine quite a few as well as testing in the backyard take some items and pass over the coil with them penny quarter pop cap trash gold etc that way u will get an idea of what they sound like, once u get the hang of it ur gonna really like it HH

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are going to love the MXT PRO. You are right in that you will need a smaller coil. The 6x10 or D2 will work well. I prefer the 10x12 SEF coil myself as it works great in trashy areas as well as open fields. You can google mxt pro video and you will get some videos on how to set up and use the machine. I would suggest planting some coins and jewelry in your yard to get an idea on signals. Remember that gold rings are going to sound like pull tabs so you will have to dig trash to find them. Silver rings will sound like quarters. Read the manual and the field guide for additional tips. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im gonna have to also agree with that to I have a couple different coils for my v3i but I got 2 goto coils the 6x8 & the 10x12 both sef coils nothing else has been back on they r awesome around EMI depth, great in trashy áreas cherry picking at its best

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
When you are at the beach if you move from dry sand to wet you will have to re-ground balance, and visa versa coming out of the wet to dry.... you will also be better served at the beach using the concentric coil.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you are at the beach if you move from dry sand to wet you will have to re-ground balance, and visa versa coming out of the wet to dry.... you will also be better served at the beach using the concentric coil.

Im not saying ur wrong in the concentric coil thing im just curious y is that one better then dd,sef,wot etc just curious is all

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Generally the beach is a LOW mineralized area, so with that in mind the concentric will do very well, plus they do get a little more depth than a DD of the same general size.
Also you won't be dealing with the amount of trash found in parks and schools where the DD really shines in target seperation in those trashy areas.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C thats,pretty much what I was thinking aswell but now Ive been using a sef coil big & small & mayb its just me but it seams they have been better for me then actually both the dd & concentric really

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We all have to find what works best for us.
I have the MXT and the coils I have are the 4x6, 6x10, 1400, and of course the 950 concentric... so my voice is site specific as to what coil I use at any given time.
Like anything else it is a matter of the right tool for the job at hand.

I have never used any of the SEF coils, I just tend to stick with White's equipment. Now that is not saying I have anything against the SEF coils.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all have to find what works best for us.
I have the MXT and the coils I have are the 4x6, 6x10, 1400, and of course the 950 concentric... so my voice is site specific as to what coil I use at any given time.
Like anything else it is a matter of the right tool for the job at hand.

I have never used any of the SEF coils, I just tend to stick with White's equipment. Now that is not saying I have anything against the SEF coils.

No I hear ya i feel the same way u need the right tool for the right job i have quite a few whites coils for my v3i & was curious 1 day on the sefs got one then got another & they just seam.invincible but like I allways say cuz they work for me doesnt mean they will work for u anyways thanks for the imput & HH

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard good things about them (SEF coils) but just never got around to trying one..... Maybe someday..
:occasion14:
Happy Hunting.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I myself stand by them they havent let me down in any Type of hunting yet id u can find a used one cheap id suggest pick it up ull b very surprized over the power of ut

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That sounds like a good suggestion... I may just try that....... I see in your list you have a deus. How do you like it?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent got it in should b here in a day or so had a great offer just couldnt refuse

kycoinguy

Jul 27, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, 12" coil, 12x10 S.E.F., 8x6 S.E.F., Prizm II, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an MXT Pro and both the 8x6 S.E.F. and the 12x10 S.E.F.. Most of the time, in the places I hunt, I use the 8x6. It is a killer coil. It's great for trashy areas and you still get good depth. I don't even use the 300 coil it came with. The 8x6 is the first coil I bought and I don't regret buying it first. As far as learning how to use your machine, White's has the instructional video for it on youtube. I would also suggest watching a lot of youtube videos. I have learned a lot over the years from doing that. Don't get discouraged and just keep using it and you will learn what the machine is telling you. Good luck and HH.

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Congrats! Sounds like were in the same shoes! haha i had to double check to make sure I didnt post this post myself.

I got mine off craigslist .. brand spankin new minus the new pricetag. not one scratch on it anywhere. I have however read the manual several times and present you this...

I live on a family owned business... its 14 acres of plant nursery. So it took it out after hours and found some modern coins in the playground area and 2 different trashy cheapo earrings.... but HAY i found 2 earrings! Someday it will be gold.

Question: Using the stock coil. Jewelry/coin mode. Gain set to 10 (triangle) Discrim set to triangle. and Threshold barely humming for a while then silent. The ground material is a recycled crushed rock and my readings were bouncing all over the place. I just felt like the minute i had a strong signal i couldnt find it again. or i could but theres something else right next to it.

so... do you think the gravel (5/8" minus crushed from ALL types of rock, concrete, brick, etc) is highly mineralized? I know since its recycled crushed rock theres all kinda BS in there. I think this gravel is a problem and its littered with crap. So how do you guys fair up in gravel lots?

and... what should be my first coil purchase? I really feel like this stock one is just bouncing off all kinda crap in the ground.

my past detector was an ACE 250 about 5 years ago... sold it in a pinch but did get some finds with it.

thanks!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread