My new XP Deus finds a Civil War Marine Button that's been altered.

Randyatgunclub

Greenie
Mar 23, 2017
LowCountry of SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus w/Pin-pointer
Garrett AT Pro and
Bounty Hunter Camo
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am so excited to add an XP Deus to my list of detectors. I am still getting use to it. I was on my property Saturday 19th with a few buddies and found a piece I couldn't recognize as it was so corroded. I thought it was a cap from a drink bottle.

Later during the week, I check and could see some indications of markings. Looked like Eagle clutching an anchor. Not knowing I was looking at the backside of it in the 1st picture, I put it through electrolysis.

Then I could see I had something interesting as it cleaned up nicely. However, the edges were bent in but why? If anyone has any thoughts, please advise.

IMG_1879.JPG , IMG_1884.JPG , IMG_1887.JPG , IMG_1890.JPG

Upvote 10

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the deus . I to just got one and am going through the learning process . I think your button could have been in a fire and did not melt all the way ? How is the back of the button ?

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE button! Those don't show up often, if ever so congrats..the electrolysis worked wonders, she cleaned up very nicely. Cant tell you why it us bent, probably one of life's little mysteries well never know! ..but it does add character and that tiny bit of mysticism...congrats..great piece..Ddf

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Federal Navy button,but i can`t tell wish one...a lot in "Tice`s Uniforms Buttons of the United States 1776-1865"
What way is that eagle pointing his head?
Is it one or two piece ?
Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Randyatgunclub

Greenie
Mar 23, 2017
LowCountry of SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus w/Pin-pointer
Garrett AT Pro and
Bounty Hunter Camo
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
G.A.P. The Eagle is facing to my left. I am pretty sure this is a 2-piece button. The back is in better shape than front. Will try to add picture shortly.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has the field ever been ploughed? Might have caused it.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your missing the back half , where the shank would be----nice find :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
R

Randyatgunclub

Greenie
Mar 23, 2017
LowCountry of SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus w/Pin-pointer
Garrett AT Pro and
Bounty Hunter Camo
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crusader - It was found in heavily treed woods about 8 inches deep. I have found other union pieces nearby( marine belt buckle). My thoughts were that it could have been altered to make a game piece.

I checked the area good but couldn't locate the back. But I bib find a buckle from a kepi(as I was told by a friend).

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader - It was found in heavily treed woods about 8 inches deep. I have found other union pieces nearby( marine belt buckle). My thoughts were that it could have been altered to make a game piece.

I checked the area good but couldn't locate the back. But I bib find a buckle from a kepi(as I was told by a friend).

Ok, but it seems a very odd alteration.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool old button and it cleaned up real nice. I absolutely love old buttons even if they are a bit bent out of shape.:headbang:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread