My newest metal detector!

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first purchased a Garrett Deepseeker, with all attachments including 14" coil, from Warshal's Sporting Goods (photo below), Seattle, ca 1980. Opinion | Old memories linger at new hotel | Seattle Times Newspaper

I was so excited as I transported the unit via city bus back to my home on First Hill. Many enjoyable times were had...at the time all the parks and even the University of Washington campus were open to detectors!

In a mindless moment, I contributed my Deepseeker and Garrett BFO (purchased for wall searching) to a charity. Since then I have mourned my loss! I ran across a Deepseeker ADS on EBAY and jumped on it. Garrett Electronics Ads VLF TR Deep Seeker Metal Detector | eBay
So glad I did!! The unit is nearly mint and in working order. The seller did a wonderful job of describing and packaging!:occasion14:

I really appreciated the Garrett A.D.S. system that worked so well. Search in all-metal ground cancelling, when signal received, simply press the spring loaded toggle switch to discrimination mode. For pinpointing, simply hold the toggle switch to either direction to de-tune the detector.

This made my day....despite being nearly homebound due to -11 degrees freeze with even worse weather predicted tomorrow!!

Garrett Unit.jpg Garrett 1 2-20-2015 1-07-43 PM 640x480.jpg

Attachments

• warshal's.jpg
    warshal's.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Upvote 0

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many a blister from that toggle switch. I had a Master Hunter. Heavy bugger

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many a blister from that toggle switch. I had a Master Hunter. Heavy bugger

I didn't notice that this Deepseeker was that heavy. It came with a 7" co-planar coil which is lightweight. I remember that when I used the 14" coil it was time to use the hip mount or the extension that provided counterbalancing of the heavier coil.

I don't recall the difference between a Master Hunter and the A.D.S. Deepseeker? Were they the same product?

When I brought my Deepseeker to WV in 1982 and demonstrated it, my Dad, Mom, and brother immediately caught the bug and bought Garretts. They became life long enthusiasts!

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Master hunter came after the ADS Don't know the difference. My brother still has his just for a wall hanger. We use AT pros now

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting! How well does it work? Discrimination, depth, etc...?

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! How well does it work? Discrimination, depth, etc...?

Bryan, weather here in WV is probably as bad as Cincinnati, so I haven't taken the Deepseeker for a test run.

I was assured by the EBAY seller that the detector was fully checked out. I believe him as it was so well packed, came with instructions, and the unit looks near mint!

My prediction is that in the all metal-ground balancing mode, this detector will compare favorably with some of the very best modern detectors. When I used the Deepseeker in the 80s, I frequently thought that "I wouldn't want to dig much deeper than what the machine could detect!" Contrary to the information posted on the net, the discrimination mode would nearly always be able to work at the depths detected. Locations included Seattle and environs, and WV.

It is an irony with even the most modern machines that to avoid missing treasure (rings, necklaces, small gold jewelry, etc.) you still need to dig EVERYTHING! With that in mind, why not simply hunt in the Deepseeker non-discrimination mode, use your brain to interpret the audio signal, and then dig nearly all of your signals. The challenge would be research and selecting the best locations so that you don't dig 500 consecutive pull tabs.

I will post the results of a test with the Deepseeker, compared with White's DFX, Fisher CZ6A, and Infinium using my test bucket. (6 gallon bucket filled with soil, with progressively deeper PVC pipe through which I can place test coins.

Spring must be coming soon!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Master hunter came after the ADS Don't know the difference. My brother still has his just for a wall hanger. We use AT pros now

pkb, It is my recollection that Garrett initially used the description "Master Hunter" for 3 different detectors, including the A.D.S. Deepseeker, Groundhog, and B.F.O. The idea was to denote the top of the line in each category.

There are not a lot of online images of the early Garretts; that surprised me.

From I Bet Some Of You Never Knew This About Garrett Metal Detectors

Master Hunter ADS (VLF/TR deepseeker control on side, toggle switch)
Coin Hunter ADS (VLF/TR deepseeker-contols on side, toggle switch)
Marksman P.B. (VLF/TR deepseeker-controls on side, push button)
Master Hunter ADS (VLF/TR Groundhog controls on top, toggle switch)
Coin Hunter ADS (VLF/TR Groundhog-controls on top, toggle switch)
Fortune Hunter P.B.(VLF/TR Groundhog-controls on top, push button)
Money Hunter P.B. (VLF/TR Groundhog-controls on top, push button)
International TR S2 (controls on top, push button)
Master Hunter BFO (controls on side, no push button)
Garrett BFO (controls on side, no push button)

This evening I inserted 6 9V batteries into my 'new' Deepseeker, and as I expected, the detector is 100% and feels brand new.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions