Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading a few posts on the forum I decided to do this. I rounded up some parts in my amazon cart and pulled the trigger on this a few weeks ago. Finally got to try it out yesterday and I'm liking it a lot!

Here's what I picked up:

Avantree Wireless headphones with 40 hours of play time:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0BXPD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So far so good on these. They're light weight and pretty comfy for the price. They do press on my ears a bit but Ive yet to find an affordable pair that don't. Nice thing is they also have a "wired" option. So if you do run out of juice you can just plug in the audio cable between the headphones and jack, and they'll work like normal... provided you remembered to bring the cable. I'll have to log my usage and see how many hours of swing time I can get out of them on a single charge.

TaoTronics Wireless Portable Bluetooth Transmitter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P24XKS8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Again, so far so good. Small and compact unit velcros right to the top of my control box and holds enough juice to last for at least 8 hours of usage. No noticeable lag. Tone did sound a bit different, but I only have one pitch of tone with my machine and I'm not sure if that would be the headphones or the transmitter. Regardless, the set up works well.

90 Degree 6.35mm 3 Pole Male to 3.5mm Female Stereo Headphone Audio Adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5LWJWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All in was like $91. I already had the Velcro. So not a super cheap set-up but I think worth the cost... as mentioned its awesome to not have that wire running between me head and the machine. Plus I can use these headphones with my phone, computer, tv, and a few other devices. I'm digging it!

~

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that looks like a pretty good setup.

I'm curious to hear how you make out with it over the next little while.

Do you get any lag time between target and your ears?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wireless is good!

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that looks like a pretty good setup.

I'm curious to hear how you make out with it over the next little while.

Do you get any lag time between target and your ears?

Not that I noticed, but I didn't do any type of controlled test before hand. Just plugged in, powered up and started swinging. I should take some time this week and run a controlled air test between the old wired and new wireless headphones before I hit the dirt again.

I can say that at first things seemed a bit different as the tone my machine puts out sounded odd, but the first area I hit was pretty clean and I had no trouble zeroing in on targets. The next location I hit, I thought for sure something was wrong, turns out the ground was just full of targets. Note -- if you ever see a hole in a fence line, check the ground in front of it. After adjusting my swing and calming my nerves, I was zeroing in on targets no problem.

I had some hesitations going this route: the usual more things that can go wrong probably will, devices need charging, can be susceptible to interference, etc. I have noticed that when the battery in my detector gets low I start getting false signals and choppy sounds, but this was occurring with my stock wired headphones, so we'll see what happens with this combination of more battery powered devices when the juices start running low. There was a point where my pin-pointer seemed to be causing feedback, but I switched my md frequency and that went away. Never had that problem before though.

But yes, at this point I think having the freedom of movement that comes with being wireless is worth the risk. If I upgrade to another detector, I will definitely look for one that supports wireless natively.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread