Native Copper Artifact

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 1985 we had a really bad drought. By August, the lake was going down and gravel bars were popping up. I didn't have a boat but one gravel bar was close to shore and I waded out to it. A few flakes and some fire cracked rock but not much else. I then spotted an unusual rock and flipped it over. When I picked it up I realized it was metal and heavy. I picked up a stone and abraded an edge and saw copper. The more I looked at it, the more it looked like a damaged celt. The narrow end is thick and then it tapers to a thin edge. One corner of the working edge is damaged. The whole piece is slightly bent. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't green. A friend from WI looked at it and told me since it was underwater it had the correct patina. He said it was definitely worked by natives but wouldn't commit to the celt description. Maybe just a blank for future use? It weighs 18 oz. Whatever it is, it's the one and only piece of copper I've found around here. Gary

DSC08967.JPG DSC08966.JPG DSC08968.JPG

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool looking piece. I saw a copper version of a full groove axe once, and it was quite similar. The only real difference being that rough indent was mirrored on the other side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread