Nearly got dudded on the bay

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been watching a listing of bulk jewellery for the last few days, and I was about to lay down a large bid.
the lot included 14kt & 9kt rings, lots of sterling including Tiffany & Co, a vintage watch etc..

The seller has a long history, with only a few neg feedbacks.

I decided to have a look at the sellers other listed items. That's when I became suspicious. She has many "vintage" & "genuine" (brand) watches & gold rings for sale. I noticed all the vintage watches look brand new, alarm bells went off in my head.

Then I had a look at her buying history, and there it was! heaps of buys from fckn Indian & Chinese sellers of fake cheap crap!

This is low selling habits imo, plain old wrong.

This is probably only one of many people who do this, and my main concern is how this floods the local market for this crap. how many fake gold rings etc. are now circulating from this kind of dodgy business? And the use of key words like "genuine" "vintage" "unwanted gift" and more that this seller uses is fraudulent imo as well.

I have reported this seller to ebay. This was similar to one other seller that I reported, but it seems as though ebay took no action.

This hurts all of us honest sellers, & buyers, not to mention the more gullible buyers.

Too bad I would have to buy something to leave negative feedback, I wish there was a way to warn all the people bidding big $'s on these fake items.

Better now, just needed to rant that out.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you did not get ripped off. Taking a few minutes to really look things over like you did paid off.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any knowledgeable buyer is going to file a SNAD case if they receive fake merchandise. If this seller has auctions going for large amounts, it wouldn't take many of those cases to put them out of business.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EBay does not care if people sell fakes, they get their commission regardless of the authenticity of sold items. I have called them up regarding fake antiques and told them where they could get proof the items were fake and they did nothing about it and some poor suckers got burned. EBay was a lot better when members could contact one another to warn them that they were bidding on fakes, but eBay put a halt to that.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EBay does not care if people sell fakes, they get their commission regardless of the authenticity of sold items.

Maybe for the big guy, but not me. A few months ago I listed some very nice proof coins dated in the 1700's I clearly stated in a few places these were copy coins and that they were marked COPY and showed a photo of that part. It did not matter, they yanked my auction and sent me a scolding message. I am sure someone complained, probably because they were selling the same item at a higher price.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe for the big guy, but not me. A few months ago I listed some very nice proof coins dated in the 1700's I clearly stated in a few places these were copy coins and that they were marked COPY and showed a photo of that part. It did not matter, they yanked my auction and sent me a scolding message. I am sure someone complained, probably because they were selling the same item at a higher price.

I seem to recall eBay changed that rule maybe a year or two ago, so they no longer allow a copy of a real coin to be sold, even if pointed out well by the seller that it's a copy.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Glad you smelled out the rat! I would love to see an auction for a fake gold ring. Care to share an auction item number?

AlabamaClay

Dec 27, 2004
I saw something similar one time. There was a listing for a bag of wheat cents supposedly from grandpa or something. They said "I know nothing about them," etc. - made it sound legit. The picture was a bit blurry so that was kind of suspicious. I looked at their feedback to see what they had purchased. And... they had purchased wheat cents, either singles or lots. I couldn't warn the bidder and figured eBay wouldn't do anything in time if at all. So like you said KangaWoo, it can be informative to check the seller's buying history. But this wouldn't work if they buy under one name and sell under another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread