Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
008.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG
Ever notice sometimes when your digging,you can sometimes picture the history in your mind "if that make any sense".To me that is most of the passion of relic hunting, besides the thrill of the hunt.I have been digging this 18th century plantation for a few years now, that is located in the middle of a big cornfield.All that is left of the homestead are a few patches of where the house and out buildings use to be,broken pottery,brick and other surface indicators.I know that South Carolina troops where there at one time,but the union came through sometime as well.And I think that might have been when this leg iron was broke and "Lost".I found it by a creek,about 3oo yards or so downhill from the old foundation.I think the guy saw his chance and took it.Later looking into the family name of the place i later learned they had 5 slaves,and that is when it all started to make sense.May not be correct,but that is the puzzle i put together so far.Happy diggin!!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gonna keep it in the collection.I would like to find the rest of it.Has to be around there somewhere.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know much about electrolysis.Usualy i just scrape my iron relics with wire brush,sometimes use electric wire brush.

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
electrolysis is very easy and cool to play with. I patched together everything with scrap items I had in the garage in one night. The tricky part is finishing it off. Many people prefer wax treatment but I am a college kid and don't have enough time for the wax or cash. Instead I use gloss or clear coat. I found matte finish to be the most appealing plus it looks like it came from a museum!!!

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
electrolysis is very easy and cool to play with. I patched together everything with scrap items I had in the garage in one night. The tricky part is finishing it off. Many people prefer wax treatment but I am a college kid and don't have enough time for the wax or cash. Instead I use gloss or clear coat. I found matte finish to be the most appealing plus it looks like it came from a museum!!!

I just soak in WD-40 for a day or so and wipe clean and dry. Seems to hold up no further rusting.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard people talking about it,They say it works good.I just never tried it .

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if you got any questions you can ask me. I think I know what I'm doing:dontknow: haha

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if you got any questions you can ask me. I think I know what I'm doing:dontknow: haha
Thank you!I,I have heard about it,just never took the time to learn.but i know who to ask now!What part of the northern Va are you from?

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice leg shackles- I have always hoped to find something of that sort,but not so far and not so likely in my area.
Good find
Thanks.It was a lucky find.nicest relic relating to the subject I have ever found.I have always wanted to find a tag.But I think around SC.Is where they are to be found.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread