kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend on another forum posted this rock pic, and it's got everyone stumped!! It came from a farm field in the Rochester/Minneapolis area. He says it's somewhat soft, as scratching the dirt out caused scuffs. Don't know what he was scratching with. He also says the hole is about an inch across. Here's his pic:

2017.11.02 - Strange Rock from Dennis Min of YT - Rochter-Minneapolis area.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get him to do a hardness test, a proper one, with a knife and copper penny. Also he should do an acid test for limestone. (determine the host-rock)

"The hole" looks like an impression left after a crystal weathered out, without finding a rock with the crystal still attached....We can only speculate.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like quartzite with vugs, looks as if there is points of crystals protruding from all sides of cavity, or vug

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with it being quartzite is, that whole area is sandstone/limestone for hundreds of feet deep. I used to collect fossils in that area when I lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota. That is an unusual rock for that area, so, I'm thinking it had to be carried there glacially. Unless it IS limestone......then you have what looks like a octahedron crystal.... Very interesting rock.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you have bedded sandstone, you are likely to have quartzite at the contact zones,being morphed sandstone, very cool in any case

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread