Need help, have a question needing answered!!

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not posted no detecting have at it. The worst they can do ask you to leave.

OP
OP
Kazoom123

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm afraid I'll get into trouble for "digging". I don't want a trespassing or some nonsense.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you wont be digging....you will be cutting nice, neat plugs. Youtube videos will show you how...and by using a pinpointer, your target acquisitions will be more precise and quicker. With that being said, happy hunting!

OP
OP
Kazoom123

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys I will give it a shot and post what I find. Appreciate the responses!!

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In city parks with nice sod any digging can be viewed as destructive, including cutting plugs. Do the best job you can cutting a plug and carefully replace the dirt and sod and you can hardly see that the sod has been disturbed as you walk away. Come back a week later and each one of those plugs is a dead spot as most of the roots were cut. Park managers and grounds keepers will not be happy, much less the general public. Learn to probe for your finds and retrieve them with a screwdriver. For most targets there is no reason to cut a plug. Search the forum for popping coins with a screwdriver, and check youtube as well. There are numerous video's on how to do it and why it is a better method.

Just one:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kazoom123

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much for your information. I will seriously do this because it makes more sense especially considering over half my finds are within reach with a screw driver. Thank you again.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up your local ordinances yourself. They will be posted somewhere, either online or at the county courthouse. Asking a bureaucrat will just raise too many issues that you REALLY don't want raised. Hunt real early in the morning or in the evening/night so you can avoid the rangers and local busibodies who might have their own agenda. If you can make nice clean recoveries, there won't be a problem. Use a slit method if it will work in that area, or a three sided trap door plug. No full circle plugs!

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There not answering because they either don't know the rules or they don't want to take responsibility for saying yes.

Go for it, just remember, out of sight out of mind.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You have two questions.

One, can I tect there? Yes, you can. Just watch out for the signs that say "NO FRIGGIN METAL TECTIN' ALLOWED, AND THIS MEANS YOU!." And if the signs in fact do say no tectin allowed, DONT GO TECTIN THERE!!!!!!. Dont be tempted to go there at night and try your luck. Believe me, a man of your stature does not need the publicity of a metal detecting arrest, that would be brutally embarrasing.

Second question, Do I need permission?. No, you dont, unless the sign says "NO FRIGGIN METAL TECTIN' ALLOWED, AND THIS MEANS YOU." And then you dont need permission obviously. Quit worrying about "permission" and please stop emailing local officials about metal detecting, they are too busy for such nonsense and they will just say NO!to you to get you off their backs, just like I would. Are you afraid of the police man? No cop is gonna cuff an old timer like you for swingin a tecter in Sordid Park in your little hamlet, heck, you probably know him anyway. If it's illegal, well you will get a warning and learn a hard lesson. You have to remember nobody from tnet is from your town, so we cant possibly help you on this conundrum, one way or the other. And remember, always get permission to hunt private land and cover your holes carefully and dont leave any trash laying around.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions