Need help identifying, I have no clue

Marshall12

Apr 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time here. First post.

I found these yesterday on my property near Stanley NC and have no clue as to their history. Can anyone shed some light on them for me?

Thanks
IMG_5879.JPG IMG_5881.JPG IMG_5882.JPG IMG_5883.JPG

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off welcome to the forum , those are really nice finds especially the larger one really cool material. Iā€™m further north than you but as guess I would say they would both fall under Morrow Mountain points with the left point being MM type 1 and the other being MM straight base that would make them middle archaic 7,100-6,000 BP

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds.Congrats :icon_thumright:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, the larger one is made from a flow banded rhyolite, a very attractive lithic. Nice finds!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Awesome finds.

The good news is that there are almost certainly more finds to be made on your property. The bad news is that it might take you a while to top the quality of the bigger one.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice NC finds! Both appear to be are rhyolite. If that was found on my property, I'd be looking more right now and not typing this message.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice workmanship on the large point. Very difficult material to work. The work of a master knapper. Gary

OP
OP
M

Marshall12

Apr 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I have no experience with artifacts of any kind so I'm thankful for any info you guys can give. Thanks arrow86, do you really think they're that old? I'm going to look for more this weekend. I found them about ten feet apart in a very small spring fed creek.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I have no experience with artifacts of any kind so I'm thankful for any info you guys can give. Thanks arrow86, do you really think they're that old? I'm going to look for more this weekend. I found them about ten feet apart in a very small spring fed creek.
Your welcome , that point with the lines is really unique looking would look nice in a display case.
I would definitely be back out there Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a lot more to be found look in any washouts from heavy rainfall and any sharp bends in the creek. If I am correct on the types they are that old check out this link below you can look at different styles and types of points from your area and compare to yours it also has the era and ages of them. Good luck hunting hope to see some more

http://www.projectilepoints.net/Search/NorthCarolina_Search.html

OP
OP
M

Marshall12

Apr 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great links.....thanks. I can't wait to go search for more.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and on your own property. Nice! Now, get back down there and find some more. Time's a'wastin'!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That striped one is cool but Id be happy with either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread