Need Help - Pickled Beets Recipe

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Did you search on Google?
Type in sweet pickled beets and I bet a lot of recipes will turn up for you, good luck!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
We make a sweet pickle called 'Million Dollar Pickle'. Lengthy process that leaves us with a large quantity of leftover sweet pickle liquid that we reboil and use on beets . Slice the beets , place in hot jars , immediately pour in boiling liquid , and seal with rings and lids from another boiling water bath .
PM or post here with further questions and I'll try to get my wife to fill in details and recipies .
Jim

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

Thanks Jim,
I make bread & butter pickles, but have never used the same liquid for beets. Can your wife pm me or post the recipe for the liquid she makes for her pickles. Thanks again.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
MiniMe said:
Thanks Jim,
I make bread & butter pickles, but have never used the same liquid for beets. Can your wife pm me or post the recipe for the liquid she makes for her pickles. Thanks again.
Hi,
Name is Jaye (wife of Butch), thought I would pass along the syrup recipe. As follows:
10 lbs of sugar
2 qts of cider vinegar
spice bag to include: 1 stick of cinnamon, 2 Tablespoons whole cloves, 2 Tablespoons celery seeds.

The spice bag can be one just for canning pickles (local hardware store) or cheese cloth folded to 2-3 layers and tied together with a rubber band.

Bring vinegar and sugar to a SLOW boil and throw in the spice bag in the pot. Once it is to a rolling boil, boil for 10 minutes. Let syrup cool (even over night if possible) and bring to boil again and boil for 10 minutes. This process is to let the spice bag marinate thoroughly.

At this point, have your jars filled with your beets and pour syrup over to cover. Quickly put on your lids and let seal. The syrup is hot enough that the jars will seal. I do not hot water bath because they are made of mostly vinegar. The old timers use to put them in crocks and never worried about going bad.

This syrup is from my grandmother pickle recipes that she used. If you want to know how to process the cucumbers, let me know. They call them million dollar pickles because of how long it takes to process the cucumbers (14 days).

One more note to the wise... when bringing your syrup to a boil, start with low heat to give time for the sugar to dissolve. If you boil to quickly, the vinegar causes a huge eruption and is the worse mess to clean up. If it does boil over, move your pot to another burner very quickly. Do not finish your boiling process on the same burner as the spilled syrup will bake onto your stove and pot. Just ask me how I know......!

Let us know if you try this and how it works.
Jaye

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread