Need help with trade token ID!!!

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
Haven't been on in a while meaning....I haven't been detecting in a while! [emoji45] But, finally got out with PlzBSeated and hit a park near us. Along with the usual junk I found some old mechanical parts, a copper water line, 3 zincolns, 2 bale seals (which PBS thinks may be from a railroad, any help with an ID on these would be appreciated as well), and a "Good For 1¢ In Trade" token with a hole in the center. The only other markings it has on it is a small star on the obverse with the writing and the numbers 1 5 6 along with a symbol that looks like a bow tie. I have combed thru several on line token lists and can't come up with anything. Please help!!! Thanks for looking and HH!!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435512449.053070.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435512464.638447.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435512473.856560.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435512486.888055.jpg

Upvote 6

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
these are numbered generic type trade tokens --as a store owner you bought a batch of (1000) say number 156 * from the token dealer when a person bought say $1 -anywhere from 1 to 5 tokens got issued with their change (depending on how much they bought) ..you only take number 156 tokens (your number in your area ) in your store---- to spend their #156 tokens they had to return to your store --these are often called "comeback tokens" because to have any real value you had to "come back"...and do business again with that store..

Last edited:

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a closer look at your bale seal. Pretty sure it says M.C.R.R. That would indicate that it is from the Michigan Central Railroad. The "airline" was built in 1870 and almost immediately purchased by the Michigan Central. This branch served between Niles and Three Rivers and had a stop at you know where. The line was eliminated in 1933. So that gives you some info and a very broad idea of the age of your find.

Pretty sure I have found some relics from the MCRR.

PBS

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about the token, but the toothed wheel looks like an hour wheel from a Big Ben or similar clock.

OP
OP
jmastny78

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
It's definitely a "unique" item! Oddly it is threaded on the bottom portion and has a hole going straight thru the middle, so I'm not really sure what it was used for. I figured a sprocket for something and since it was found at a old railroad stop I'm figuring it had something to do with that. But, not sure.

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live a produce area it could be a pickers token.

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty sweet! I do love finding local history! Thanks for letting me tag along today! Always fun sharing finds!

Always a pleasure.

PBS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread