need hold once again with hallmarks sterling or plated?

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i picked this up today but cant find these hallmarks my gut tells mee sterling because of the craftsmanship and toning and i also dont see EP on it but i also dont see the lion so i am also wondering the date as it looks pretty old to me any help is much appreciated thanks it also weighs 907 grams DSCF3531.JPG DSCF3532.JPG

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver plate. John Round & Son, Sheffield I think.

English silver is always going to be hallmarked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think yo might be right ,i am hoping youre wrong tho lol

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely silver plate. A wonderful piece

OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any value?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are not hallmarks and yes it’s definitely silver plate from John Round of Sheffield, England. Although established in 1847, their mark didn’t include ‘& S’ (for and Son) on plate until 1863.

Your set of marks also includes the ‘four trident’ trademark formerly used by Joseph Ridge, which puts it a little later. In 1886 Round’s business amalgamated with Ridge, Allcard & Co (also of Sheffield) with Joseph Ridge as general manager. Pieces from Round & Son that also bear Ridge’s tridents trademark are believed to have been made after that merger and so date from 1886 onwards, until perhaps as late as 1915.

Although it’s a nice piece, there really isn’t much market for these. You’ll see higher speculative pricing on fleabay, but you should be able to pick up a 4-piece set with tea and coffee pots (or one pot and a hot water jug) plus milk/cream jug and sugar bowl for about $75.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are not hallmarks and yes it’s definitely silver plate from John Round of Sheffield, England. Although established in 1847, their mark didn’t include ‘& S’ (for and Son) on plate until 1863.

Your set of marks also includes the ‘four trident’ trademark formerly used by Joseph Ridge, which puts it a little later. In 1886 Round’s business amalgamated with Ridge, Allcard & Co (also of Sheffield) with Joseph Ridge as general manager. Pieces from Round & Son that also bear Ridge’s tridents trademark are believed to have been made after that merger and so date from 1886 onwards, until perhaps as late as 1915.

Although it’s a nice piece, there really isn’t much market for these. You’ll see higher speculative pricing on fleabay, but you should be able to pick up a 4-piece set with tea and coffee pots (or one pot and a hot water jug) plus milk/cream jug and sugar bowl for about $75.

Great information, however I never said they were hallmarks. I said English silver would always be hallmarked. That isn't silver, it's plated, which was my point.

Edit: Sorry, after re-reading I see you were replying to the OP's use of hallmarks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread