Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought would be the absence of markings and/or maker's mark. That being said, homemade silver jewelry can lack identification as well. A good test kit is a worthwhile investment if that’s important to you. I’m not selling or scrapping my finds, so I haven’t bothered to get a kit.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NS, nickel Silver, EPC, EP, German Silver, Silver on copper, SOC, silver soldered. 40, 60, 80, 90,100.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found unmarked sterling before, but to me the clues are how in tarnishes. Plate has a calico look to it and solid silver will tarnish pretty much gun metal blue to black, but watch out for extra thick plating as that stuff can also appear as a solid piece of silver. Learn the codes such as EPNS, SPC, SP also 80 & 90 do not mean .800 & .900 alloy. How the piece is constructed is also a tell tail sign of it either being solid or plated. My favorite site to reference is 925/1000 silver marks that covers a lot of various silver marks with a great understanding of silver companies and smith's and who does what by the marks they use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread