need some "reale" information :-)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
need some "reale" information :-)

I found this earlier in the year, at an old town site near foundations from the Rev. and pre-Rev. War era. Other side is worn totally flat, which is why it's not pictured. I found a large cent nearby. This is my oldest coin find, but not sure of the date (early 1700s?). Is a reale different from a cob? Thanks. (This is around the size of a dime.)

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 504
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Re: need some "reale" information :-)

cool, thanks for the feedback

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

hey phil, that 1/2 reale that i dug last year looks exactly like yours on the reverse. it is dated 1781. if its the size of a dime its a 1/2 reale. great find by the way!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI, the basic Real was 2.5 grams. These in the Photograph are 8 Reales, and have 10 Dinero or 20 grams of pure silver in them. Obviously simply weighing it will put you within the ball park.

These 8 Reales are 1 1/2" in diameter.

Incidentally, the smaller issue of silver Reales are quite hard to find since they did not take care of them as they did for the larger sized or Gold coins, congrats, a very nice find..

Remember cutting one in 1/2 was legal, and gave you 2 four bit pieces. Cutting it in 1/2 again gave you 4 two bit pieces, and cutting it in 1/2 again gave you 8 2.5 gram pieces, equal to 1 Real. Go from there.

1 Gram = .03215 Oz.

Tropicl Tramp

Attachments

• 8 Reales Alamos mint 1888.jpg
    8 Reales Alamos mint 1888.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 496
  • .jpgReverse.jpg
    .jpgReverse.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 494

holeintoe

Jan 4, 2006

Hey Bergie, Just for giggles what is the weight of your Reale?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

One more time:
The other day I was reading somewhere about a Gold escudo with the letter "G" on it and they said that it was from Granada Portugal and yet I have been unsable to locate such a place. I know that there were TWO mints in Granada Spain. One was where they hand hammered the coins and the other was where they milled the coins.
There was some debate but never the less I have such a Gold II escudo with the letter "G" on the left side.
There is NO date anywhere.
Can some help please.
Peg leg

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

holeintoe,
Thanks for the information.
But I still do not know a thing about these coins other than they were hammered by hand.
According to what I have come up with THESE gold 11 escudo coins were minted in Granada in the 1500's.
On the shield side to the right is the assayers make of a little "o" over a big "D" and below this is the II.
The coins weights 6.5 grams and is about 21.5 to 22.0 karats.
I have a person interested in buying this coin but I do not want to get taken nor do I want to take anyone.
Thanks.
Peg Leg

holeintoe

Jan 4, 2006

Hi PegLeg, Can you post a picture of the coin. I have many reference books of gold escudos. If I could match your escudos up with one of the reference pictures I would be happy to foreward the info to you.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Peg Leg,

Are these the same gold coins you needed info on a few months back? or different?
There are gold 2 escudos that that do match what you say...Felipe II / Phillip II
Ceca de Granada Type 29 number 39 D assayer unknown. Page 139 of Numismatica Espanola 1474-1994 8th edition Calico Trigo 1994.

G - left of shield (Granada)

a small o
a Capital D (unknown assayer)
denomination II
all to the right of the shield...

All make sense...and worth about a $1000.00 in XF near mint condition.

I have a picture...do you need one?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

Trez,
Yes they are the same coins.
Yes I would really like to see a photo and any information you may have on these coins.
Thanks
Peg Leg

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

Trez.
I would really like to see a picture of the gold 2 escudo coin from Granada.
Thanks
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread