SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's too cold to detect, thought I'd vent about cell phone calls. I recently changed my cell phone number due to the amount of unsolicited texts and calls I was getting. I decided to put my new number on the Cell Phone Do Not Call list! What a mistake! I'm now getting calls from almost every state in the union and last night got seven calls from Mexico! I'd don't answer them and yes I know that I can block them but the numbers are always different. Am I the only one that enjoying this?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never answer calls not in my phonebook. If they leave a message then I can decide to call them back......

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
You do realize that the "new" number you were assigned was probably used by someone else before you got it? You must understand - most numbers are reused when returned. I really don't believe it has anything to do with the "no call" registry. Time to change the number and hope it wasn't used as much. Me - I NEVER answer a call I don't recognize and then will hit my "auto-reject" if they don't leave a message.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's too cold to detect, thought I'd vent about cell phone calls. I recently changed my cell phone number due to the amount of unsolicited texts and calls I was getting. I decided to put my new number on the Cell Phone Do Not Call list! What a mistake! I'm now getting calls from almost every state in the union and last night got seven calls from Mexico! I'd don't answer them and yes I know that I can block them but the numbers are always different. Am I the only one that enjoying this?
I like to push the quick answer button that says ( I'll Be Right Over) Just to mess with them.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "do not call" registry is absolutely useless. You can't complain against somebody violating it because they all use caller-ID spoofers, and political ads are specifically exempted so you can't stop them. We cancelled our home phone 2 years ago because the ONLY calls we got were telemarketers and my parents, and they have our cell phone numbers so theres no loss. Life certainly got better once we removed all those calls. Originally it was fun because you could yell at and harass the callers but today it's about 99% automated messages.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do , DO NOT register your number on any internet based website. Yahoo is just an example. They want your number as a backup method if you lose your password. They openly state that they use your info. Facebook is a huge offender as well. Good luck to you , it is very frustrating to say the least.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I do is run a Whitelist/Greenlist on my phone.
Give all your known contacts a ringtone of your preference and then set all other numbers (the default ringtone setting) to silent. Doesn't stop the texts on my Android, but I never hear any phonecall spammers.

When I was younger, I used to play along and act slightly beyond dumb to make them think they were about to make a big sale. Got some of them to the point that they thought I was having trouble reading the numbers on 'mom;s' credit card. They waste my time, I waste theirs. Doesn't work anymore in these days of computerized calls/messages.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do is run a Whitelist/Greenlist on my phone.
Give all your known contacts a ringtone of your preference and then set all other numbers (the default ringtone setting) to silent. Doesn't stop the texts on my Android, but I never hear any phonecall spammers.

When I was younger, I used to play along and act slightly beyond dumb to make them think they were about to make a big sale. Got some of them to the point that they thought I was having trouble reading the numbers on 'mom;s' credit card. They waste my time, I waste theirs. Doesn't work anymore in these days of computerized calls/messages.

Unfortunately my cell is also used for my business so I have no choice but to deal with the unknown numbers. So far my spam ratio is pretty low on my cell, but like mentioned above, I don't put my # as any form of "ID" for websites like Facebook. They can kiss my butt.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
And when any business asks for my phone number like some stores do at a cash register I firmly say, "No. Thank you."

Most people spit it out blindly. I've had to wait for others to check out, and it's funny when everyone after me starts declining also, but not a single person prior.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last I checked Verizon gave you a choice of a free recycled number or a new number for a fee. I chose the free option, what a mistake! Finally swallowed my pride and changed to a brand new number. No more problems.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah Jason, nothing you can really do with a business phone that I know of. Even if you maintain a Blacklist of known spam #s, they can just spoof the caller id (seems like about 10% do that now ime).

NEVER give out real info over the web and minimize it in real life as well. But you 'have' to have a phone # is met with ' its unlisted we never give it out;. Just the other day when I paid my property taxes they said I had to give them a # or they couldn't accept my check (lived here 25 years, never not paid on time, and its not like I can pick up the land/house and hide it somewhere). They apparently get a cut of the extra fee if you use a credit card and try to push people that way. So I just make up a number with the local area code; in these days of oddball cell#s, who knows what is and isn't a real #? (I think next year I will walk in with a boatload of cash....but they probably already have a fee for that too).

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Back when I had a land line, I got a call from a guy with an obvious Caribbean accent. He said I'd won a 5 million dollar lottery. I called him a lying (bad word, bad word, bad word) I bet on 10 million and he's keeping half. More bad words. Had him going to the point of stuttering, then hung up and laughed. Ended up the laugh was on me, they took me for a sucker, and I was hounded for weeks. Now days with called ID, I usually don't even answer. Make them leave a message, then decide if you want to answer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions