Need underground camera advice

gump1

Feb 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for a cave that may contain goodies and is no more than 50' below the surface. I have a water well guy that can drill me a series of 4" diameter holes to 50' for a reasonable price. What I am looking for is a camera that I can lower down the 4" hole to see what is there. Any recommendations?

I think a plumbers camera would work but they only appear to look straight ahead. I would prefer a camera that I could see out to the sides and not just straight down the hole.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any good ice fishing camera will work for that. Aqua Vu 4x4 quad would work.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very inexpensive way is to use a couple of Harbor Freight #65326 wire fishing sticks with a Swann security camera on the end. HF is always giving away the little 5 LED flashlights. Tape the flashlight to the shaft and the camera to the end, putting the camera in front of the light eliminating lens flare. The swann camera has a 60' cable and can be extended with regular audio cables. Quick & dirty works excellent! If you want to take more time, use two shafts side by side & wired loosely together. Attach the cameras bracket to the end of one shaft and the end of the camera case (epoxy) to the hook of the other one. Angle the camera up & down by pulling one rod or the other up & down. Buying the Swann camera in the kit with the 12v / AC power supply the sticks & flashlight = around $75. You can throw it together in the field in a heartbeat. Breaks down for packing. Save your money on the plumbers pipe cams!!!!!

Remember sometimes Old skool is mo better mo cheaper!

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vivitar makes a 69 dollar version of the go pro. You will need to supply a good light with it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that hint Casca! I may have to look into that for another project. The one I made was a pretty much side of the road build, and since it plugged into my laptop, I could take pics & record the video if wanted / needed. Forgot to mention that in my other post. Since then I've found a ton of applications for the fish rods. Have to give credit to the cable guy! He turned me on to the rods at HF for around $10 compared to $40 or $50 at the box stores.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread