Upvote 0

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
under 300? hmmm Garret detectors are not that bad for that price. Though you will have to dig most every target.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only if they are buried less than a foot deep on dry land.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought at least 8 used detectors, never got a bad one and got my money on all that I resold.... All were bought from long time respected members off the classified forums and saved a fortune in costs...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

Bucketfreak317

Feb 3, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 Whites BH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to chime in here from experiences that I had on a short lived run with metal detecting and what I'm going to say comes from hindsight reflections on the subject before I'd even dole out one red cent on any metal detector I'd put some things into consideration because its going or would be today a group of deciding factors for me.
First off would be this do I live in an area where there's property that was occupied in the past (old home steads,battle fields from the civil war era etc)would I have permission to hunt in those areas if these factors were present.
Were talking about a hobby but for the most part I think one would be considering metal detecting to find worthy treasure right?
With that question posed all indications tell me that the most successful hunts for coins of any real value seem to be to the west coast and east coast I live in Indiana which is one big black mark on the list of reasons why I shouldn't,and never should have even considered metal detecting so with that said if your still interested then the questions that follow come into play.
The capabilities of metal detectors have been said to have come a long way well I'm calling BS on that,if anything has come a long way its the capability of advertisers to sell far fetched lies to consumers on behalf of bloated heads of manufacturers,this along with some well placed word play to make sure no matter what when you find out that the metal detector you bought doesn't perform to the abilities claimed by the manufacture its still your fault and not theirs or their product,now having said what I've said I'm sure I'll hear about this in a negative way.
But any honest person would have to agree with this statement when it comes to metal detecting your going to find more trash than treasure.
In the end its your money and in the end you'll make your own choices I wouldn't let fan boy's and the like sway your decision and my personal opinion is this when it comes down to settling for what you can afford right now your setting yourself up for a disappointment that is if your area has anything to offer in the way of relics and or treasure to start with.
My advice is before you buy look around at the video's on youtube and see for yourself what people are finding and ask those people questions I'm not saying that metal detectors don't work I have nothing against any of the makers other than the fact that they need to tone down selling the idea that under every tree in the forest your going to find a pocket spill.
Good luck none the less.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indiana was first settled in the mid 1670s when the first Europeans came to Indiana and claimed the territory for the Kingdom of France....

There is history there, it is up to each person to do the research on where to hunt to have the best chance.....

Most of us get into detecting for the thrill of the hunt, not to get rich..

It sounds like you got into your short run with metal detecting thinking you were going to find riches......

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. First off would be this do I live in an area where there's property that was occupied in the past (old home steads,battle fields from the civil war era etc)would I have permission to hunt in those areas if these factors were present.

2. Were talking about a hobby but for the most part I think one would be considering metal detecting to find worthy treasure right?

3. With that question posed all indications tell me that the most successful hunts for coins of any real value seem to be to the west coast and east coast I live in Indiana which is one big black mark on the list of reasons why I shouldn't,and never should have even considered metal detecting so with that said if your still interested then the questions that follow come into play.

4. The capabilities of metal detectors have been said to have come a long way well I'm calling BS on that,if anything has come a long way its the capability of advertisers to sell far fetched lies to consumers on behalf of bloated heads of manufacturers

5. In the end its your money and in the end you'll make your own choices I wouldn't let fan boy's and the like sway your decision

To be honest, it sounds like you have had a negative experience with metal detecting, and your primary concern is to make money. I feel that is an attitude that is destined to fail. I've broken down a few things I'd like to respond to, as your post might discourage others looking into the hobby.

1. No matter where you live, there will always be someplace you can go to detect that has been populated in the past. Treasures do not have to be over 100 years to have a personal value. It's about the hunt and giving new life to things that were once lost.

2. Worthy treasure is in the eye of the beholder. I love history, not wealth, and I get more pleasure in seemingly "worthless" artifacts and thinking about a story that might be behind them.

3. Not sure what you consider coins of real value, but I've found some really neat coins here in southern Michigan, over 150 years old, and I wouldn't dare sell any of them. You can't get into the hobby assuming you will find a cache of 1793 half and large cents.

4. What research have you done leading you to believe there have been no advancements in the capabilities of metal detectors since their inception? That is just simply not true. Processing power has increased in all electronics over the years, leading to major advancements, including metal detectors. You might want to take off that tin foil hat and look into it.

5. I have recommended both my E-Trac and AT Pro, because that is what I own, and I love using them both with great success, not because I am a fan and think everyone should make the same choices I make. Of course someone would recommend their own detector if they had a positive experience with it.

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 & XP Deus with a Whites TRX and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bucketfreak,

You obviously do not know what you are talking about when it comes to advancements in metal detecting. Where it be the fsb in the Etrac or the XP Deus and it's high speed recovery speed. I notice you are fairly new to the forums and it sounds like you into this with the idea of hitting it rich. You may should have used that money playing the lotto. This is a hobby for the most part.... Not a job....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rockhound151

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2014
Tacoma
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm in Tacoma, I have spare if your local, lets dig some holes...

try it for a bit then move up.

my main is an "Excaliber II"

Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread