flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have used it , I drop it down 10 to 15 !

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drop mine 5-10 every time I ground balance.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto, I drop about 10 as a general rule.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally drop 3-5 depending on how bad the soil is. Very bad soil in some areas here in VA. Does anyone know if dropping around 10 would be too much in really bad ground or would it hurt more than help?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always, at least 5, normaly 10. Most soil I hunt in my area is 80's- mid 90's

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always, at least 5, normaly 10. Most soil I hunt in my area is 80's- mid 90's

I will be giving this a try....80's-90 or so is usually about perfectly balanced here aswell. Thanks!

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
The lower the ground balance number, the less depth you will go.

In order for the AT Pro to work some in highly mineralized sand/saltwater, I had to lower the ground balance to 62. Running with a 62, I was lucky to get 4-5 inches depth out of the AT Pro, that is why I went with the ATX for those conditions, and I don't ground balance the ATX unless I absolutely have to.

In normal sand and turf with the AT Pro, the auto ground balance would go down to 90-92. I have found a bit more depth without a ground balance. I now always run the AT Pro wide open without even a ground balance in the trashiest of areas, that give you the maximum power out of the machine, and silver will scream at you through iron and aluminum/gold. I found it best to cherry pick without using Discrimination.

Don't use Discrimination, don't lower Sensitivity, and don't Ground Balance, unless you absolutely have to. All three of those will kill your depth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
The lower the ground balance number, the less depth you will go.

In order for the AT Pro to work some in highly mineralized sand/saltwater, I had to lower the ground balance to 62. Running with a 62, I was lucky to get 4-5 inches depth out of the AT Pro, that is why I went with the ATX for those conditions, and I don't ground balance the ATX unless I absolutely have to.

In normal sand and turf with the AT Pro, the auto ground balance would go down to 90-92. I have found a bit more depth without a ground balance. I now always run the AT Pro wide open without even a ground balance in the trashiest of areas, that give you the maximum power out of the machine, and silver will scream at you through iron and aluminum/gold. I found it best to cherry pick without using Discrimination.

Don't use Discrimination, don't lower Sensitivity, and don't Ground Balance, unless you absolutely have to. All three of those will kill your depth.

I disagree. Using detectors around highly mineralized salt water makes a big difference, operating single frequency detectors around salt water have problems with depth.
I use no discrimination, pro zero with negative ground balance set 5-10 below balance, running at full sensitivity with no problems.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you really benifit from this? not being a smartass.. I never really heard about it, or what it does. Mine usally stays right at 75, pretty much wherever im at....Except Florida

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. Using detectors around highly mineralized salt water makes a big difference, operating single frequency detectors around salt water have problems with depth.
I use no discrimination, pro zero with negative ground balance set 5-10 below balance, running at full sensitivity with no problems.

That's fine deadeye, you can disagree, but when you understand what a ground balance does, you will understand it is like lowering your sensitivity, which will cause you to lose depth.

OP
OP
D

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's fine deadeye, you can disagree, but when you understand what a ground balance does, you will understand it is like lowering your sensitivity, which will cause you to lose depth.

You are entitled to your own opinion. I will not argue the point !!!

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
my view==

Since it's a silent search machine it requires a certain amount of signal to trip the beep. Offseting the grnd bal will increase the signal (because some of the ground minerals wont be tuned out) and cause less target signal necessary to trip a beep, now if its too far offset ull get false signals like crazy. I view it similar to super tuning a tesoro, but a bit different since the tesoro disc gb is fixed and all metal is adjustable on some models like bandido. On a threashold search mode machine it would be less effective I think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread