Neighbor found Rev War cannonball in her yard!

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Friday morning my neighbor was looking in a area of her yard that she never goes to. She saw a strange object half buried in the ground. What she found was either a shot put from the neighboring high school or a cannonball.
A friend/ history buff with contacts in Gettysburg Pa. Brought the object there yesterday and 2 different experts said it is indeed a cannon ball.
They identified it as a 9 pound ball dating from approx. 1782- most probably French made.
We live in Mahwah,NJ an area of much Revolutionary War activity. I have a couple pictures and went there to measure it with my digital caliper,but her friend still has it,so I didn't get to measure it.
I searched the immediate area with my detector to see if there were more,but have not located any others. I have included pictures of the cannon ball and the hole it was pulled out of. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432499520.431615.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432499540.740424.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432499564.527336.jpg

Upvote 16

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great find, a canon ball is definitely on my list of things to find.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing that it has been sitting on top of the ground god knows how long. Thanks for sharing

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would expect a lot more rust on iron lying in dirt for over 200 years.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironic that you posted this, my first ever metal detecting find 20+ years ago was 4 4lb'ers in my parents backyard in the Morristown NJ area...still have them too, my parents repurposed them into door stoppers

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday morning my neighbor was looking in a area of her yard that she never goes to. She saw a strange object half buried in the ground. What she found was either a shot put from the neighboring high school or a cannonball.
A friend/ history buff with contacts in Gettysburg Pa. Brought the object there yesterday and 2 different experts said it is indeed a cannon ball.
They identified it as a 9 pound ball dating from approx. 1782- most probably French made.
We live in Mahwah,NJ an area of much Revolutionary War activity. I have a couple pictures and went there to measure it with my digital caliper,but her friend still has it,so I didn't get to measure it.
I searched the immediate area with my detector to see if there were more,but have not located any others. I have included pictures of the cannon ball and the hole it was pulled out of. View attachment 1165892 View attachment 1165893 View attachment 1165894

Also, since the area you live in is my backyard, it could possibly be from a french cannon from Lafayette

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's a great story and find...awqesome